Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternal leave

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Some places don't pay maternity leave either. Welcome to the celtic tiger :)

Surely you mean "most places".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This government is anti family in my view. Remember McCreevy's attempts to individualise the tax system and thus discriminate against stay at home parents. The €1,000 a year is a paltry drop in the ocean when it comes to paying the exhorbitant cost of childcare. If this government was serious about looking after our kids, they'd introduce paid and statutory paternity leave of at least 2 weeks, paid parental leave, and heavily subsidised, or even state run creche's. However, I won't hold my breath.

But most people still vote for them ... and seem to think Bertie should stay on for doing something that the ordinary Joe would go to jail for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

professore wrote:
    Surely you mean "most places".

No idea. I've no experience of "most" places just "some" places :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

RainyDay - He is required by law to submit Annual Leave for all employees and himself as part of the Organisation of Working Time Act. So, whilst he was technically booking it with himself, he still had to book it. He gets all sorts of forms he has to fill out from the Govt. about holidays, sick leave etc... I dunno, he explained it to me one day in detail but in one ear and out the other.

Also, he works in the retail industry, and his business has a high turnover of staff. In January, there were sales etc on, so very busy. His business is of a seasonal nature so January also required some of his staff to attend trade fairs in the UK, so he was severely understaffed and thats why he could only take 4 days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Remember McCreevy's attempts to individualise the tax system and thus discriminate against stay at home parents.
    Don't worry this has continued for the last few years, simply by increasing the PAYE credits more than the single credit/married credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You could approach your boss and offer to work "part-time", ie cover the essentials for a few days or a week. Enough hours so that everything keeps ticking over but few enough that you'll be around to help her and you to adjust to it all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I don't see anything particularly unreasonable in dads having to take some annual leave time when baby arrives.

RainyDay wrote:
    I don't see anything particularly unreasonable in dads having to take some annual leave time when baby arrives.

You're all heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jskinny_de

I was informed by my boss that the company has decided to "ban" broken-parental leave....ie. We must now take parental leave in blocks no less than 2 weeks and no greater than 6 weeks!!! :(

Surely to god this sort of blanket ban is unfair and most probably illegal!! :mad:

I should also add that at this moment in time I have co-workers who already have broken-up parental leave agreements in place and there are no plans to change any of their agreements. This double standard / descrimination makes my blood boil!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I made that point earlier. Its not illegal either.
    ...But if you split the parental leave the employer can refuse it completely.

So if you can take the time off enmasse unpaid, parental leave is effectively useless to you. Because you can't afford to take it enmasse.

You're only entitled to take in one block. If they allowed it before that was company policy only. They can refuse you taking it one block once too. Read up on it.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/holidays_and_leave/parental_leave.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement