Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remnants of Hurricane Helene over Ireland

Options
  • 25-09-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Well I thought I'd keep with similar title.

This has had our name on it for a while now. I haven't been watching the development (where can I find more time? :( ), but Met Eireann have this in their forecast.
    Wednesday will be extremely windy or stormy with strong to gale force winds developing, and gusting 90 to 120 km/h. Winds southeasterly at first, then veering southwest to westerly. There will be widespread rain also, heavy and thundery in places, with some local spot flooding.

Discuss and tell me what is coming and where?

Oh and if this is being dicussed somewhere else, tell me and do the deed with this thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This one looks like being more about rain than wind.
    I really think we got lucky in the east with Gordon, all that wind with no rain to soften the ground etc..could have been so so much worse.

That said with strongish winds and possibly heavy rain I suspect some places weakened by Gordon may be suseptable to damage that might otherwise be the case.

Definately worth keeping an eye on it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Post here on Helene,will lock the other thread in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Longfield wrote:
    This one looks like being more about rain than wind.
    Oooh I dunno. GFS and UKMO both point to some strong winds around the coasts:
    http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/charts/FSXX00T_60.jpg?20060925073013
    http://212.227.101.120/wz/pics/Rtavn488.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Snowbie wrote:
    Post here on Helene,will lock the other thread in time.

can i suggest putting a link to this thread in the last post of the other one?

This be mostly a rain event.Windy but not stormy.South will get the stongest winds.
    This has been downgraded again from yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

How much rain are we talking about here?

Arklow has been flooded twice in the last week and I believe monaghan and donegal suffered "flash" floods

RuggieBear wrote:
    How much rain are we talking about here?

Arklow has been flooded twice in the last week and I believe monaghan and donegal suffered "flash" floods

Unknown Ruggie,if it where only half of what fell last week with the gordon remnants then the situaton would be exasperated further.

Was Arklow flooded twice in the last week? didnt know that.

Snowbie wrote:
    Unknown Ruggie,if it where only half of what fell last week with the gordon remnants then the situaton would be exasperated further.

nothing major (unless of course you live there) but the avoca burst its banks.

Strong winds will be on the south coast in the morning time transfereing to the east coast come lunchtime.How strong?Met Eireann has now said up to 110kph gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yes Met are now saying gusts between 100kph and 120kph, its goes to get very windy.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    2 weeks ago the bottom of the town was under water due to a thunder shower,there are pictures in the wicklow people from that.That flood came out of nowhere in 2 hours.

http://arklow.741.com/live.html

Thats back up and running temporarally and I'll leave it live for the rest of the day.
    The signal may be erratic though as the repeater tx is out of action and I'm relying on the main tx.

Tristrame wrote:
    2 weeks ago the bottom of the town was under water due to a thunder shower,there are pictures in the wicklow people from that.That flood came out of nowhere in 2 hours.

http://arklow.741.com/live.html

Thats back up and running temporarally and I'll leave it live for the rest of the day.
    The signal may be erratic though as the repeater tx is out of action and I'm relying on the main tx.

link is not working for me. keep getting load errors

You need flash

Also you must use the exact link,it wont work with www in the address bar for some crazy licence reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks good for me Tristrame, excellent looking actually

keep getting error load data after the the loading data bit:confused:

oh well. might be the firewall here in work or something equally annoying

www.arklowweather.com is updated automatically at 5 minute intervals Ruggie.
    Your firewall shouldnt block that one.

It's not as flashy though :/

Any high gusts yet lads,no one at home so i have left my PC off.

29mph snowbie at 1032 here.
    Thats at ground level though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote:
    Any high gusts yet lads,no one at home so i have left my PC off.

35mph
    mean 20mph

Fair play to you lads,i say they will go a bit higher than that peaking at about lunchtime here on the East coast.

• Advertisement

33mph at 1102am
    max average so far 24.2mph

max average is now 25.5mph at 1124 am

It must be gusting over 30mph consistently for you.Is that equaling Gordon from last week? Tristrame or was it higher than that.

Wind is not much atm here just squally at times.

current max average is 30.5mph-up another 5mph since my last post

highest gust is 36mph so far.

Highest gust for Gordon was 50.1mph and the max average was 37mph

just gusted to 39mph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Winds to change SW later as forecasted. If so we should fell the full force of whats left of this storm in the east this evening and tonight as it moves north over the country. Gusty here now at 29kts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Wind was gusting up to 38kts in Dun Laoghaire earlier but has subsided somewhat now. Still waiting for it to veer to SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

So far.
    Max gust 47mph (Gordon 55)
    Highest 10 min mean 26mph (Gordon 36)

It's wet, but not very. 8mm so far.

max gust 39 (Gordon 50.1)
    max average 30.5 (Gordon 37)

Not much more than an average wet and windy day haer.
    Calmed down a good bit now

Rain 9.7mm

• Advertisement

Max gust 33mph (gordon 43mph)
    Max avg 13mph (gordon 30mph)
    Rain 1.8mm and mainly drizzle (Gordon 0.0mm)

Was never really that bad here to day,blustery would be best to describe it.
    At least the rain was up on Gordon.

Advertisement