Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism with a language

• 25-09-2006 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

Im thinking of doing this course after I leave school (im in 5th year now), just wanted too hear about the course from a students perspective, especially if you chose Irish as your language as if i were too do this course that would eb the language i would choose

Thanks
    Al

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Yeah, it's a good course if you're into it. I think about half of my year dropped out when they realised that journalism is hard work.
    The language element takes up about 1/3 of the course, so if you're not into doing a language... don't do this course. It's "journalism with a language", not "Journalism (but ye might get to speak a bit of French)".
    If you're into writing AND you're nosey as ****... then go for it. You don't need to be the next Shakespeare to get by, you just need to see all the angles and produce the stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mikelmessi

You can get as much or as little as you want from the whole course. One person in my class couldn't hold a conversation at the end of four years, another is now working in the Irish language media, both started at the same standard. If you apply yourself with Irish you'll do well, and Ite (the main lecturer) is a legend who does everything she can to help her students- at least in my experience. There are a fair few jobs out there in meain cumarsaide na Gaeilge as well.
    And like the poster above said, make sure you know what you're getting into. There's a largish drop out rate in first year because people don't have a clue what journalism is about, or have ended up doing it because they put it on their CAO between commerce and physiotherapy.
    There's a lot of different areas to go in to as well once you've finished.

Advertisement