Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Info wanted on a Pajero

Options
  • 25-09-2006 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Ill be needing a commercial carvan/jeep after christmas and am thinking of a focus van or a pajero swb jeep. I have found all i need to know about the focus easily enough but just looking for some info on the pajero.

Ill be going for a 1997/98/99 short wheel base model. Which engine is the better, 2.5turbo or 2.8turbo. Whats the fuel economy like on either of these? I remember hearing they had crap gearboxes but that was years ago, this didnt affect the 97-99models or does it?

Anyone have a pajero here, is there anything i should look at in particular regards them. Ìll probably get a jap imported one, is there much of a difference between them and the Irish market ones. Are the gearboxes transferrable between the euro/jap versions.

Appreciate any help here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Avoid the 2.5 model. they are seriously underpowered and a nightmare on diesel if you do any out of town driving. the engine isn't powerful enough for the weight, and to counteract this they've geared it very low, so the engine is screaming at 60mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I've got a 97' 2.8 SWB jap import which I've had for just over 2 years and its never let me down once! The only problem with mine has been emmissions,but they all tend to be quite smokey. I'd go definately go for a 2.8,the 2.5 is way to slow and only gives 2-3 mpg better. I average about 24-27 mpg in mine depending on how hard I drive it and where its driven. I know people who have had problems with automatic gearboxs in them but I think the manuals are solid. And the autos would cost you 8 - 10 mpg!!

The main differences between the japs and the Irish models are that the japs have a higher standard spec (climate control,airbags,bigger alloys from '96 and more chrome.) and lots of them come with body add ons like bull bars and spoilers.

The best advice that I'd give you is to buy from a reputable jap import dealer like West End Motors in Mullingar,you'll pay 1 or 2 grand more but its worth it for the warranty and their jeeps are in great condition! I'd also consider a LandCruiser if I was you, just to see which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If a Focus is big enough then it's a no-brainer really. Especially if you actually like driving.

Advertisement