Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leraning Shakespearean Quotes...

Options
  • 25-09-2006 7:46pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Our teacher gives us a good few nightly, and I find it really hard to learn them...

Any tips?

If I recorded myself saying them, then put them on my mp3 player would it help:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I really don't get the obsession from teachers with Quotes. It's almost as if they represent marks.
    I got an a2 my exam and for my Shakespeare essay I literally had about 3 quotes in the entire thing. As long as you know what you are talking about , can make a some points , and have a few "buzzwords" that relate to the play (i.e "Filial love" in Hamlet) you'll be fine.

Anyway, by the end of the year, if you've been paying attention, you'll know them from hearing them again and again.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

At this rate we will have 100+ Quotes by the time we finish the book :(

Any tips for actually learning them? Does writing them down help?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

Writing them down would help for the last minute cramming before English. They're all on the same page so it's easier to find them. At any rate it will give you a greater idea how to spell the words.

I don't think there is any easy way to learn off quotes. Mostly importantly is understanding what they mean. The more important the quote, the more like gibberish they seem to me. :rolleyes: Know your play well. :eek: Read over what you read it class so you can remember what happens. Then you have a greater idea of what the characters are doing, and a gist of what they will say. It helps me know what they're about to say in English which makes the gibberish easier to memorise. ;)

What play are you doing by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Don't worry about learning off quotes. I didn't learn any and it didn't do me any harm in the exam. I think it's a waste of time and energy and can confuse you into thinking you're actually studying the text when you aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I say learn quotes, they look well in an essay, and are an easy way to get full marks for backing up whatever points you make. If you were saying that X character was angry, for example, it's much easier and more fluent to just drop a quote than to say "as we can see when he berates Y when she does Z" and so on. Obviously, good writers can work around that, but I'd say under normal circumstances you'd want a good 10 quotes in an essay if you want to get full marks.

I found it fairly easy to learn most of the quotes for whatever reason. But for the annoying ones you just can't remember it helped me to write them down in marker on a page, and stick that page up on the wall behind your desk (or wherever you do homework/study) for a week or two, that way when you're staring into space you'll get them into your head and they should stay there with a tiny bit of revision now and again.

As an aside, this worked well for lots of things - formulae, theorems, French/Irish vocab, verb tables, lists of things in business, dates in history - you name it. Don't overdo it though or you'll end up with just another textbook on the wall in front of you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

First of all... tell your teacher you are not interested in learning her bull**** quotes
    then... dont bother reading any books or plays.. just watch the films/stage productions and read summarys off the net

I cant see the point of learning 3 texts + a play inside out when you only have to write like 6 pages on them all together, but thats just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PeterMC

As for quotes all you need is one per point - so In the avearge essay you will make 5/6/7 decent points- Learn enough for 2 essays - sorted!!

Oh and the syllabus does not require direct quotes - quotation/specific reference to an event is acceptable/required.

I never consciously sat down and learned quotes for the LC, but did use them in essays throughout the year - you'd be surprised how many come to you in the exam!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

For the LC, I learnt only certain quotes that I knew had to come up, 2 or 3 per character, a few for themes, imagery etc...
    think about it cleverly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I hate these people who think learning off essays, or reams upon reams quotes, constitutes a good English student.
    If English was Just an extended paper one , the better.
    That would truely sort the men from the boys.:p
    This spoonfeeding idea is exaclty why "the tute" and similer "cram schools" make bucketloads everyyear.
    Man i hate our "Education" system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Macbeth, eh? Well I presume so anyway, since most schools are doing it.

You only need key quotes, I'd pick Lady Macbeth's 'Unsex me here...', eh, Macbeth's soliloquy 'is this a dagger?', maybe a bit of the witches quotes, definitely the 'out, out-brief candle!' speech...and a Macduff one.

Concentrate on the key scenes, not the filler ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

haven't learnt on quote yet.

I'll learn a few main ones a few months or so before. Don't seem them as being too important anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

we've highlighted basically everything in the first 3 acts of macbeth for use as quotes. i can't understand how we're expected to make use of everything next june, the answer would be enormous.

Tak3n wrote:
    First of all... tell your teacher you are not interested in learning her bull**** quotes
    then... dont bother reading any books or plays.. just watch the films/stage productions and read summarys off the net

I cant see the point of learning 3 texts + a play inside out when you only have to write like 6 pages on them all together, but thats just me...

Fine point you made there.
    Its sad that people think the more quotes you learn is directly proportional to your grade.
    Wikipidia gives you everything you "need" to know without all the extra bull**** which wont be used in june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

...Why does it say you're quoting yourself?

Naikon wrote:

I made a error when posting a quote.
    Was a bit tipsy last night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

conzymaher wrote:
    Our teacher gives us a good few nightly, and I find it really hard to learn them...

Any tips?

If I recorded myself saying them, then put them on my mp3 player would it help:confused:
    im in same position
    im talking about like 6 othello quotes a night and its come to the stage were im cheating almost every day in them like i would feel bad usually cheating but some of the quotes are so irrevelant

ah the old sitting on the sheet (with quotes written down) and looking down during the little test :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

An Fhile wrote:
    we've highlighted basically everything in the first 3 acts of macbeth for use as quotes. i can't understand how we're expected to make use of everything next june, the answer would be enormous.

I dont think its that difficult, yeah there are alot of quotes, but theres only a handful that are extremely important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I learnt about 10 the night before the exam, seriously don't worry about quotes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I think that they are important and as someone said before me seem to make the essay flow more smoothly.

Besides it is surprising how many of the important quotes you learn in the class when the teacher keeps on saying them...

Advertisement