Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thunderdaome should have a charter!

Options
  • 25-09-2006 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I dont think its right that the thunderdome, a place for ''light-hearted'' bullying and slagging, should not have a basic charter outlining boundarys. Yes if people want to insult each other to the death :confused: then they are free do do so, but some insults go over the line and threads verge on it too. Even the cuccko's nest in all its sillyness has a basic charter. So too should the tunderdome, if not even more so then tcn! :mad:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

but some insults go over the line and threads verge on it too.
    Examples?
    Who's to decide what goes over the line or not?
    The Thunderdrome already has mods & from what I gather if an individual is threatened or anything they can take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A féch off .. oops sorry.

The Thunderdomes doesn't have a charter because only the law of the land applies there.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I agree with the OP here. I've long thought that the Thunderdome could cause a lot of hassle for boards. Perhaps there is no need for a charter, but I have the following suggestion:

I think that it should be the case that threads cannot be started there, and that only people who actually post in the Thunderdome should be the target of whatever abuse is the flavour of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Examples?

I Dont want to specificaly give examples as i dont want to pinpoint deliberate people. But i think i make a fair point if you read some of the threads posted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Woah, Deja Vu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm pretty sure somnone has already whinged this to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Personally I think the Thunderdome is more trouble than its worth and not a good idea in all.

However, if we do have it, then I don't see any sensible way of limiting insults (can just see the charter trying to draw a line "...rule number 46: you may insinuate that you have regularly copulated with a poster's dead mother, but not that you have done so in a public venue...").

Threats are out, because they have to be, but for actual insults it seems an all or nothing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The thunderdome should have the same permissions as the prison forum.
    Plus it should be mainly used to store moved bitchfights

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

If it was possible to control the thunderdrome down to the point that the individual threads only contained the two people who are having a go at each other (when said thread gets booted over there.) I'm pretty sure that would have been implemented by now. But I'm not a computer expert and I guess that setting it up to be that specific would take both time and power.

Which is something the admins dont have alot to spare at the moment.

personnally the only charter thats needed on it is that if someone makes a threat that has serious conatations around it (e.g I'm going to hunt you down and stab you.) said post should be reported and that user site banned.

Anything else. It stays on the thunderdome, its not allowed leave it. (if it does, user who brings it out will be punished.) So the classic internet policy of 'dont like, dont read.' comes into play.

That should be the only charter in thunderdome. (as well as 2 men enter 1 man leave.) If it is gonna have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Amz wrote:
    Woah, Deja Vu!

Im Not picking certain people because the threads and nature of the forum will vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Why should it have a charter? I agree that taking the piss out of someone's religion, or the color of their skin is soemthing that should be in a charter. However, when it's something humorous that we can have a laugh about, it shouldn't be in a charter to stop us.
    I think that one part of the charter all the charter should gnerally say that people without a humour shouldn'r go into it....

I have seen a thread about [user1] that could have offended her greatly if she wasn't as loose about it... the thread was started without consent from [user1], however the insult thread and the likes in a trendy idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I agree with the OP here. I've long thought that the Thunderdome could cause a lot of hassle for boards. Perhaps there is no need for a charter, but I have the following suggestion:

I think that it should be the case that threads cannot be started there, and that only people who actually post in the Thunderdome should be the target of whatever abuse is the flavour of the day.

Nobody cares what you think newb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

nevf wrote:
    Why should it have a charter?
    I agree <...snip....> is soemthing that should be in a charter.

Do not you see the flaw in those 2 statements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    If it was possible to control the thunderdrome down to the point that the individual threads only contained the two people who are having a go at each other (when said thread gets booted over there.) I'm pretty sure that would have been implemented by now. But I'm not a computer expert and I guess that setting it up to be that specific would take both time and power.

Which is something the admins dont have alot to spare at the moment.

personnally the only charter thats needed on it is that if someone makes a threat that has serious conatations around it (e.g I'm going to hunt you down and stab you.) said post should be reported and that user site banned.

Anything else. It stays on the thunderdome, its not allowed leave it. (if it does, user who brings it out will be punished.) So the classic internet policy of 'dont like, dont read.' comes into play.

That should be the only charter in thunderdome. (as well as 2 men enter 1 man leave.) If it is gonna have one.
    I fully agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

rb_ie wrote:
    I fully agree.

As do I.

The biggest gripe I have about the 'dome at present is that the calibre of the banter there has gone through the floor since one or two n00bs made their presence felt amidst juvenile **** jokes and homosexual innuendo.

Can we have a spate of bad taste bannings please? I undertake to feed them and clean out their cages every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Do not you see the flaw in those 2 statements?
    damn! ur rite! it should have a basic charter, but thats all...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

amp wrote:
    Nobody cares what you think newb.
    But what a newb.

If boards.ie was an anime, he'd be the underdog hero who powers up ludicrously in a few short episodes and garners the displeasure of the elders.

tHUNDERDOAME!

CuLT wrote:
    But what a newb.

If boards.ie was an anime, he'd be the underdog hero who powers up ludicrously in a few short episodes and garners the displeasure of the elders.

SHUT IT YOU SLUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Thunderdome should go back to the old way - no threads started there but threads that descend into flaming/trolling/whatevering sent there.

The organic stuff is far more entertaining than the try hard attempts at being controversial by singling out a poster.

• Advertisement

tHUNDERDOAME!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

tHUNDERDAOME!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

amp wrote:
    SHUT IT YOU SLUT!
    Just because I'm a slut it doesn't make my opinion less valid :mad:

...you harlequin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

tHUNDERDAOME!