Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friendly if we can?

• 25-09-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if you would mind if I tried to organise a friendly for the pitch time we have on Sunday.

Some of my friends are in a team that seemingly is also on the 'waiting list', and I just thought it would be nice if we had a proper game.

If you would prefer that we played with ourselves then cool.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

friendly sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Are we playing on an 11 a side pitch or coolmines?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Quball15

gutted!

Any chance we could contact the 12 teams and organise our own league....too much hassle? Or would all the astros be booked up midweek........

How about even splitting the team into two 5 a sides.....

Just trying to think of some other ways to play! I was well up for the league....feck it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My god, I was going to suggest earlier that we could get our own league going but it was a bit hopeless since we'd have to get some teams together, but I forgot there's 12 teams ready and waiting for the astro league. Not sure what data protection acts would be in place, but I wonder would it be possible to get in contact with the other teams. 12/13 teams would be more than enough for a nice little league amongst ourselves. We don't need astro either, we could play in the 12 acres pitches in the Phoenix on a Sunday or something. I'm sure there's a few other grass pitches with floodlights we could get midweek if necessary too. For training etc too. With 12 or 13 €1,800 (which is what everyone would have) that's about 20K to get something going:eek: Get a little website made up too and we'd be well upon our way! Will take a bit of effort but could be well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah a league amongst oursleves could be the way to go if it was possible to get all the details. As for Sunday, a friendly sounds great. No matter who it's against. Any match practice will do us the world of good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Would like a friendly yeah, that'd be cool. Whats the latest on the jerseys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Friendly, Sunday, Cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Hoodle

Friendly sounds good to me.

seansouth wrote:
    If you would prefer that we played with ourselves then cool.

Hehehe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hehehe :D
    Jaysis, nine posts and someone picks up on it.:D

Well, I was in the boozer, and the wheels are in motion for the friendly.

I also thought of the idea of asking Astro.ie putting us in touch with the other teams and getting something sorted out with them, which I will do first thing tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I've emailed Astro.ie asking :

1. To be put in touch with the other teams, if possible.

2. If there is space in any of the other regions, we originally registered for Dublin South Central (homey), but there were other regions, like North Central etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Des apply to all the Astro's in Dublin. My mates team got in yesterday to the Northside league up in AUL, so there could be spaces left up there.

Did he apply on Astro.ie?

I'm unsure as to where else to apply Shane - is it all run from Astro.ie?

I've sent him a text. Also asked him would he be interested in a friendly. Think they would be about our standard, but they have been playing together for a while.

Off down the pub Des drinking away the funds? Good man yerself, I'd do it too.

Thanks for that Shane - what do you reckon the chances of the friendly are?

I didn't drink much of the funds - only had six pints.

Des, he said that they'd be up for a friendly. They Can't play this week, so I asked him what day would suit them?

Lads, I've already pm'd Des about this. I've asked my mates team, who play in the Astro.ie league, to give us a friendly. Think they're in Division 7. They've agreed. So we just have to agree on a time and a date. I said Sunday week would prob suit. They've to get back to me, so if anybody has any probs, just post it up here.

Sorry Shane, I was busy in work today, and then went straight to watch the Champions League games.

Well, the match for Sunday is pretty much on at this stage, just have to ring the manager of the other team to give him directions to the pitch.

Grand about the other game too, nice one for that.

If Sunday week is cool with everyone, then cool with me.

So a friendly this Sunday and next Sunday? Cool!

The armband may get to make an appearance afterall! Yay!

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote:
    Yay!
    Neil?

Yay?

Do Coolmine have a full sized pitch, be mental to play 11 v 11 on that pitch.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Do Coolmine have a full sized pitch, be mental to play 11 v 11 on that pitch.

kdjac
    Nope.

Does the difference between astro and grass really warrant us spending €240 between us just "to get used to" playing on astro if we can't even play 11-a side, which will be a lot more important to get used to than a different playing surface.. I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

id rather pay a tenner to get a decent surface like astro tbh than risk twisting an ankle or worse in the phoenix park

cormie wrote:
    Does the difference between astro and grass really warrant us spending €240 between us just "to get used to" playing on astro if we can't even play 11-a side, which will be a lot more important to get used to than a different playing surface.. I'm guessing.

Coolmine is nothing like the astro that we may be on, its rubberised and tiny, more a big 7 a side pitch than an 11 a side.

Nice surface th for a kickabout.

If we have 19 again and they being 9 its not really that dear.

kdjac

The only reason I thought Coolmine would be useful is for training amongst ourselves, where we might only have 9 or 10 a side (like last Sunday). Now that theres a friendly organised, its really not that suitable for a proper 11 a side game. Still though, its booked...

And Cormie, its not all that expensive when its split 20 or more ways!

For me the best thing to do would be to find a proper 11-a-side astro pitch and play the friendlies on that, but if the lads have coolmine booked we can't leave them hanging, so fair enough.

We defo need to practice both playing 11-a-side cos we really need to try out our 4-5-1 system and try out 4-4-2 aswell. I know its only one player but it does make a difference.

For everything from keeper & strikers getting used to full size goals, corner takers practising on full size, long throwers likewise, and fitness levels (there were plenty of lads boll*xed on the small pitch so practice on full size is a must), we'd really want to be playing at least one of these games on a full size pitch. I'd go full size grass over smaller astro, but if it's already booked then that's the way it is.

BY the way, mate in work has first game in astro.ie league tonight - he's amazed it's starting on time. he said they gave teams till 29th september to pay, so there may be a few drop-outs that don't pay by tomorrow, but I doubt there'll be 12 drop-outs, so we really need to figure something else out.

yeah definitely can't cancel this weeks booking but something to look into for the following sessions. The GAA pitch in the phoenix isn't the best alright, I'm thinking mainly of that shot that went in after it bumped over my clearance kick the last week:o Pitch was to blame for that:D But the footy pitches on the 12 acres are fine. They are used to games all the time as far as I know. We could use these on a Sunday and somewhere with floodlights midweek.

• Advertisement

Lads dont think playing 11 a side in the Phoenix Park on a Sunday is gonna help us, besides coming up to the Winter, most of the time those pitches on the 12 acres will be waterlogged, and ye wont have a hope of playing with the wardens up there. We really need to get an 11 a side astro pitch, for friendlies sorted out. The pitch up in Coolmine was fine last Sunday, and if we are stuck, it should be used.

I still think we will get into the Astro league, as most of the teams i know in it, had the same sort of trouble that we are having starting off.

Sure why don't we just whip on some short shorts and enter the ladies league, they'd never know for sure :D:D

Savman wrote:
    Sure why don't we just whip on some short shorts and enter the ladies league, they'd never know for sure :D:D

Showers would be fun.

:D

kdjac

Sorry this sunday out for me I'm afraid :o

I'm hopeful of making it myself on Sunday. Will be down in the backarse of Mayo Saturday night, so It'll be straight into the jammer Sunday morning. If I'm not gonna make it, I'll sort Mark or Neill out with the spons if its needed. Fairplay

here lads, its a friendly against another team we're playing on sunday yeh? whats the story with our jerseys - they must be ready by now?

If I need to, I can bring my red Accenture jerseys but would prefer not to cos washing them after you smelly bast*rds isnt my favourite pastime

• Advertisement

Any idea what colour the other team wears?

I don't know.

I'm ringing their manager later, and I'll ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

ill be there on sunday, maybe hanging together...maybe not, time will tell

Lads mates team cant make it this weekend, they won't have the players. Theyve said they will defo be around Sunday week, so if we can just postpone it till then.

Whats the story with 3rock, are we up there this Sunday?

For me there's no point in getting a full 11 a side pitch unless we are guaranteed to have 22 players down, either amongst ourselves or with another team.

• Advertisement

I think we should just book coolmine again for this week.

I think booking Coolmine every week is madness to be honest. 4 weeks and we've spent 1K between us. It's not the right size pitch and the goals are tiny too. The thing is, we're booking it for daylight times when there's places like the Phoenix park available for free. Even if we needed to have a place for when it's dark, I still think there are much better options than Coolmine.

I don't think there's any point in us playing on grass anymore. We're playing in an astro league, we need to get used to it. It plays totally different to grass,much faster game. A bigger pitch with fullsize goals would be great,but we really need to stick to astro I think.

L5 wrote:
    I don't think there's any point in us playing on grass anymore. We're playing in an astro league, we need to get used to it. It plays totally different to grass,much faster game. A bigger pitch with fullsize goals would be great,but we really need to stick to astro I think.

Have t'agree...

I play 11-a-side on grass on Saturdays, it's like its a completely different sport to astro soccer. I see some really iffy players look "good" on grass simply cos its mostly a physical game, jumping for headers and what not. The astro is much more skill based and suits attackers more me thinks.

I'd say all footie would end up like astro footie if FIFA ever did away with the slide tackle rule (which they threatened at one stage iirc...)

Yeah, astro would be better to play on if that's the type of league we're going for, but there must be a full size pitch (the type that will be played on in the league) available and hopefully nowhere near the madness of €240:eek: :o

I thought KDJACL was looking into getting a game or two up on the pitches up in 3Rock. Think they're full size astro 11 a side pitches.

cormie wrote:
    Yeah, astro would be better to play on if that's the type of league we're going for, but there must be a full size pitch (the type that will be played on in the league) available and hopefully nowhere near the madness of €240:eek: :o

€240 is a bit much alright, the astro in coolock is €65p/hr but no use for anything above 5 or 6-a-side. Maybe taking it for 1hr instead of 2 might be an option but that needs better punctuality folks! :)

The 7 a side in Louglinstown, same surface as Coolmine, but no sideline, just walls (it's outdoor though), with proper sized nets, is €25 per hour!! and if nobody is waiting on it, you can stay for as long as you want. €240 is crazy in comparrison for a pitch that's not even the same that we'll be playing the league on.

Lads i gave DCU a quick ring there about the possibility of getting the full size astro pitch for an hour. Said she'd get back to me. I asked how much it would cost for the hour - said something in the region of 140e. So she's to get back to me.

Are you a student there? Might be cheaper if someone is a student.

• Advertisement
Advertisement