Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing thread

Options
  • 25-09-2006 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hiya it says invalid location when I try and access the thread "Music video downloads", started on the Dance & Electric djing boards.. Has it been deleted? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Polly~Flower

Hiya still can't find this thread that I started.. would really like to see some links that had been posted to me.... can someone pleeeeeeeze help ?

thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hey there.

The thread got deleted I'm afraid, with this note:

"Reason: download of copyrighted material"

oh. Weird. The site that was linked just allowed me to view the video clips.. no downloads. I must have missed something .. was it necessary to get rid of full thread, I had been looking to purchase? anyway such is life..
    thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

If you are viewing a video on your computer, you are downloading it - possibly only to a cache, possibly only a stream and hence not actually storing the whole thing on your machine, but it's still going from another machine to yours and is hence subject to copyright law.

Now, we can't be having with being sued for assisting breeches of copyright law. On the other hand, some websites are licensed to allow downloads, or are owned by the copyright owner, or only allow material that has some sort of GPL, Creative Commons, Copyleft or similar license, or Public Domain material and so on and we're quite happy to let people link to that (Spamming links to such a site, posting off topic, or other reasons why we might delete something still apply).

However, mods are busy and determining copyright of such material is not always that easy - though as a rule it is easy enough for the person linking to the site, having already been there and found the stuff they were posting about, to also point out the license, terms and conditions, or whatever evidence the site gave that it was indeed legal.

Long story short. Link to music, videos etc and show in your post that it's legit, and it won't be deleted on copyright grounds. Don't, and we'll have to assume the worse and act accordingly.

I didn't realise streaming breached copyright laws.. you learn something new everyday. But again I will say that I was looking to buy these clips. (like you can buy recently released music videos from itunes)As you would have seen I had said I had been looking for them on itunes but none to be found. I was looking for anywhere I could get them, in a legit way... At this stage I am guessing there is nowhere I can buy them. But I was coming to boards.ie to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

PM a moderator of the forum and ask if they could examine the thread to make sure it was illegal.

Advertisement