Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules on rights on childs regilion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i ahve talked to her shouting,other times quietly and relaxed atomosherm,she just wont listen.......and when i reache the ''lack of belief in god'' part she always tells me t ostop being stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look to someone who believe in a god and has to them a tangible relationship you are not going to be able to convience them that thier god does not exist.

You have to come at it from another angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

Ayla wrote:
    Honestly (and this will be brutal), one thing that has struck me about this situation from the OP was the youth (or at least young mental attitude) of this poster. Forgive me, but OP, if your priorities are with comics and your weekly allowance, can you really expect your mother to understand that you're "mature" enough to make your own religious decisions?

Surely, by this logic, if he's not mature enough to determine his own religious stance, he should not choose any.

Oh, and to the OP. Were I in your position, if I could find some kind of part time job, I'd take it and quit church, but that's purely on principle. You gotta determine whether sitting through church for an hour is worth the 20 euro to you. 20 bucks an hour is FAR more than you'll be making from a part time job, and given that you're still in school the job can be awfully stressful. There's not many jobs that you can fall asleep for either.
    Also, yer ma seems to think the idea of there not being a god there is a joke, so I wouldn't try to have a logical arguement with her over why you feel there most likely isn't a god, cause she'll just get angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

..i dont want them anywhere NEAR regilion
    Wait till you find that you can't get them into your local school until they are christened.

RainyDay wrote:
    Wait till you find that you can't get them into your local school until they are christened.

Mine are not christianed and they are in the local primary school.
    That depends on the school the denomination of the school and how many children have applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Mine also aren't christened and went to local National schools, I think times are fast changing and by the time the OP has children of school age I think things will be very different.

In areas of high population growth and/or high demand, schools can & will discriminate based on the religion of the child under the Education Act 2000. Pupils who don't meet the school's enrollment policy will be at the bottom of the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Yes thats at the moment, but this lad is only 14 so I'd say that things will change between now and the time that it becomes an issue for him.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the religious institutions to give up their stranglehold. In many cases, they own the actual school buildings, and they won't be given up lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

Ok people tis about yur man tryin to convince his mother he dosnt believe in god not his future childrens education. As for u op if u really wont give up your comic books for this then you obviously dont feel as strongly about it as you say. Im 16 and survive on a tenner a week and that includes getting the bus and buying food when im in town.So dont say u NEED 20 euro u dont. If ur mother wont listen to you just dont get out of the car at the church, shes not going to start shouting at you in the church carpark in front of the priest and god knows who else.

Sorry i was in need of a bit of a rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

the first time i told her i didnt believe in god she started crieing and my dad grouhnded me for 'UPSETING' hwer

If the matter is that emotive for your Mother then try talking to your Dad about it.
    You have remember that your Mother may see your lack of relationship with god and your failing to acknowledge god in your life as her having failed you and god.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thaedydal wrote:
    Well then I suggest you go and learn about what you vowed to do when you made your confirmation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_(sacrament)

Personally I think confirmation is a rite which should be held later on in a persons life when they are old enough and mature enough to understand that they are undertaking.

Part of your vows at confirmation is to be responsible for your own spiritual practices and the state of your own soul.
    Your parents were responsible for it and vowed to be so at your baptism and when you make your confirmation they relquish it into your own care.

Like I said take the time to research where you stand as a confirmed adult in the faith that you were brought up.
    and thats exactly why people are made do it at such a young age because the church or whoever know the numbers would be much much less otherwise...

and although i regretably made mine a couple of years back i'd of hated to be the odd one out in the classroom not doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I've said it before, as have other posters, but OP I really think you need to quit your whining. You're 14 and living at home and receiving a very generous weekly allowance of €20. So you don't like that you have to go to church, and you don't believe in the same things as your mother.

So what? Deal with it for the next few years and you can forget all about church when you move out. Maybe I'm alone here, but I can't stand hearing kids (or young adults) taking constantly from their parents and expect that they shouldn't have to make their own sacrifices in return. Grow up.

Advertisement