Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Superstitions

• 25-09-2006 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Rather than being selfish and name the thread on my question I gave it the broader name of Superstitions so feel free to add any weird ones you have come across.

My query is, when Rio Ferdinand comes out of the tunnel, he does this weird slow motion step and then jumps. Anyway know what this is exactly? Id imagine is quiet frustrating for the guy behind him!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I read an extract of Frank Lampard's book in the paper, apparently John Terry is very superstitious. Can't say I've noticed the Rio thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paul Ince used to only put his jersey on when he got to the pitch.

I have a superstition too, I don't like owning Home Jersies of the team I support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

seansouth wrote:
    Paul Ince used to only put his jersey on when he got to the pitch.

I have a superstition too, I don't like owning Home Jersies of the team I support.

Yeah, Paul Ince was probably one of the better know ones. I actually found a bit on an ESPN site, just a one liner, Ferdinand doesnt like walking over the white line, he jumps over it. Cant believe anyone else hasnt noticed this, its like he just jumps over it, he actually does one or two little steps that make him look like hes about to break into a moonwalk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

i have, though is it a superstition or more of a warm up thing?

Trilla wrote:
    i have, though is it a superstition or more of a warm up thing?

Superstition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Superstition.

ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Cant believe anyone else hasnt noticed this, its like he just jumps over it,
    I've noticed this and wondered why as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

i have noticed it as well, looks really weird...............lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pat Dolan would always jump over the touchline and back as the ref blew at the start of a match.

My own personal one is I never, ever comment on anything that is happening at a Cork City game ie - never say that a player is playing well, or poorly as that will end up going against me. Likewise, i will never comment during the game that we are well on top, or comfortable, or dont look like conceding. Only at half time, or full time will I comment. Not while the game is being played.

Cant believe no one has mentioned Larent Blanc kissing Fabien Barthez' head at France 98 before ko of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Richard Dunne eats 4 Big Macs, 3 large Fries and a Chocolate Milkshake before every game. Not sure if that's superstition though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

BaZmO* wrote:
    Richard Dunne eats 4 Big Macs, 3 large Fries and a Chocolate Milkshake before every game. Not sure if that's superstition though.

More like his version of an energy snack than a superstition me thinks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Whenever i wear my Superman boxers playin with my team we win.....that is until the time we lost 5-1 and then i binned em. :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Julian Dicks always drank two cans of Coke before a match
    Tony Gale had to throw up before going out, he could only play on an empty stomach!

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    Pat Dolan would always jump over the touchline and back as the ref blew at the start of a match.
    :eek:
    gimmick wrote:
    My own personal one is I never, ever comment on anything that is happening at a Cork City game ie - never say that a player is playing well, or poorly as that will end up going against me.
    But would it not be good then to comment if someone was playing shít?
    gimmick wrote:
    Cant believe no one has mentioned Larent Blanc kissing Fabien Barthez' head at France 98 before ko of their games.
    Not just that WC I think. Didn't oul Larry White kiss the 'keeper's head when they were at ManYoo aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

john terry always uses the same toilet b4 a home game and he gets some1 else to put on his captains armband 4 him. me thinks.

BaZmO* wrote:

ROFL :D

Not to mention a few pints of the black stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BaZmO* wrote:

Yeah I'm sure that's exactly what he does. The guy is 6ft 2ins and weighs 15 stone. Not exactly Weight Watchers material. He's also one of the quickest players over a short distance in the Irish squad and easily our best defender. So yes I suppose your comment is in no way idiotic.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

gimmick wrote:
    Obviously to make the ball hop off the pitch straight to one of his players... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Xavi6 wrote:
    Yeah I'm sure that's exactly what he does. The guy is 6ft 2ins and weighs 15 stone. Not exactly Weight Watchers material. He's also one of the quickest players over a short distance in the Irish squad and easily our best defender. So yes I suppose your comment is in no way idiotic.
    Ah would you relax the kacks!!! :rolleyes:

It was a joke that harks back to the days when, by Dunne's own admisson, he wasn't exactly looking after himself. There's even a classic quote from him around the time that he said to a journalist while away on an international trip.

"Who are you the criticise my lifestyle?" said Richard while sitting in a hotel bar with a pint in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

I believe Peter Shilton allways walked out of the dressing room second .. after the capitan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement