Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VEC Higher Educational Grants

Options
  • 25-09-2006 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

I dont think this is a educational question but by all means it can be moved. I have an problem with the calculations involved.

The suitation: My da is self employed and is a part time farmer. Earned roughly €40000 in the last tax year between the two. From first glance my brother should be entitled to a part maintenance grant (75%) according to Dept of Education. However the VEC dont seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet. They have said that he is not entitled to a grant. I dont understand. Surely he should be entitled to something?

How exactly is the HEC grants calculated? i.e what does an officer base his / her calculations on? I'd also like to hear from accountants for this one who would have experience filling out the forms for the HEC grant, AFAIK the accountant filled out the form based on last years tax returns. (BTW - I dont want to hear stories about how yer man fiddled the books etc etc, not interested. I just want to know how do they (i.e the VEC) come to their decision?)

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Comments

Advertisement