Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Dublin to live w/ kids

Options
  • 25-09-2006 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

I'll be moving to Dublin and working on the north side of City Centre. What would be the best place to live with 4 kids? I'd like to be within a reasonable motorbike or bicycle commute. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You'd be best off getting somewhere outside the city center. What about somewhere along the luas line?Are you intending on sending your kids to private or national schools?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Will you be buying or renting...?whats your budget...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I'll be sending them to National Schools (3 of the kids) that is unless I can "know the right person" and get them in a private one and if its feasible in the budget. My budget is no more than 2000 euro a month. I think I'll let initially to get the lay of the land and buy when better informed.

You should check out Daft.ie,then come back to us when to have a short list of areas that you like.

A couple to start you off.

Link

Link

Link

Link

Dub13, You've been most helpful! I wasn't aware of daft.ie (funny name, it definitely applies to me....daft!) I'll be checking it out thoroughly. Very encouraging.

Haven't I seen you in the Military forums?

• Advertisement

coyote6 wrote:
    Haven't I seen you in the Military forums?

You sure have.

As I said above when you have a short list of areas come back to us as there is nothing better than some local knowledge to help you out in a situation like this.

Here is some more within your price range, have a flick through. They're all South Dublin though, but all the houses in Ballsbridge are a very short drive away from the city centre, Dundrum is on the LUAS line etc.
    If you find anything you like and want more information about the areas, just ask.
    Hope its some help.

Thanks so much for the help. While were at it I might as well mention what I'm looking for for the future.

When it comes to purchasing a place I will be looking for a "garage" type structure with space above to be converted to living quarters. I intend to put an art studio in the lower level with room to paint, weld (sculpture) and for general mischief. It can be pretty rough as I'm pretty handy with fixer-uppers.

Anyone know of anything like that?

Like a semi-detached/fully detached house with a car garage on the side?There's loads upon loads of them if thats what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

Renting / buying something like a 4 bed detached house in Dublin, with a garage, will be very expensive.

Maybe check out areas like Ashbourne (County Meath, won't show up in a daft.ie search of Dublin) which is only 30 minutes on motor bike to Dublin city centre?

Maynooth, Wicklow Town, Blessington to the South of Dublin could also be option for that type of property. Depends on how often you would need to get all the kids into the city centre too. Traffic from some of these towns can be horrible and some of them don't have any public transport worth talking about.

You'd get an idea of prices on www.myhome.ie

• Advertisement

More like an industrial type building or storefront with space of any kind above which could be converted into a living space. The ground floor would be an open large area for studio space. Semi-dilapidated is o.k.

Advertisement