Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital allowances for PCs

Options
  • 25-09-2006 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the story is regarding capital allowances on computer equipment?

I've been told that the rate is 12.5% per annum over the life of the equipment. But in all seriousness, everybody here knows that computers are not going to last 8 years. Most people in business will be looking to update their computer systems after about 3 years, some, even sooner.

The 12.5% rate of depreciation is fine on large machinery costing a minimum of €5-10K, the likelihood is that they would be lasting around 5-6 years.

But computer equipment, and for my own purposes, I mean one desktop system and a printer, costing €1200 and €2500 respectively. There should be a decent enough resale value for a printer, but practically nothing for the pc, yet I would only get 37.5% capital allowance for a system that is outdated and MUST be replaced.

Am I missing something?

Damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm reasonably sure you are right. It's at 12.5% like any other fitting, fixture, plant, etc. I think that computer software is even included in the same category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

with those sorts of figures you can just write them off as overheads in the first year of purchase if you wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Nuttzz wrote:
    with those sorts of figures you can just write them off as overheads in the first year of purchase if you wish

Agreed, expense them.

Just on a point of detail.

Depreciation is an accounting term which is the method used to try and match the cost of an asset against the associated production.

12.5% may be a good rate.

Depreciation is NOT an allowable expense for tax purposes.

Capital Allowances are a tax concept, not an accounting concept and they are used to incentivise industry to buy capital goods for production purposes.

In some cases u can write off the entire cost in year one against tax, this is called 100% capital allowances. Look at www.revenue.ie

HTH

Advertisement