Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting more hits from Irish net users, how?

Options
  • 25-09-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I have a site I'd like to get more visitors from Ireland too. How do I do this? Enter it in to some sort of search engines or something?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i gaurantee you at least +1 clicks by irish users if you provide a link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Yeah it's http://forum.generaltransportinfo.com.

Friend of mine started it up. He's just looking for more hits from Ireland etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

BreadBoard wrote:
    Yeah it's http://forum.generaltransportinfo.com.

Friend of mine started it up. He's just looking for more hits from Ireland etc :)
    Has CIE given him permission to use their trademark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

You have a .com hosted in the states.

Consider moving the hosting to Ireland if you want to do well with Irish search engines. (or you could buy a .ie but the former is probably cheaper :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

But is there some system of entering the address into a directory to get more hits ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

as mentioned before, get it atleast hosted in ireland, even if you stick with the .com, as it is now its an american site, nothing to link it to ireland even if google wanted to. As for directories, sure list it in some for search engine rankings, not many people actually use directories.

also, its very very slow at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mowd

Try submitting your website to the following directories.

search.ie
    websearch.ie
    browseireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Google ranks sites higher when they are hosted on Irish IP space and when they use .ie domain names.

These are two steps that might help, as well as generally improving the amount of links from other sites to your site and doing some Search Engine Optimization, improving keywords etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

CoNfOuNd wrote:
    Google ranks sites higher when they are hosted on Irish IP space and when they use .ie domain names.

Only on google.ie or searches from within Ireland (you're starting to sound like iedr ;) ). For a generic term say like "web design" it's going to be difficult for the domain and ip to make a difference.

There's no easy solution to you problem BreadBoard, but CoNfOuNd is sending along the right path.....

another idea would be to visit other forums and include the address in your signature and generate clicks that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

tomED wrote:
    another idea would be to visit other forums and include the address in your signature and generate clicks that way!

But don't go over the top!

There's a line between self-promotion and spamming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

How's it going, I'm the owner of General Transport Info - didn't know anyone was promoting the forum until I googled the domain and came across this thread.

Thanks for the information, as regards promotion of the site. Unfortunatly the forum has recently been closed with the release of a new venture Irish Transport Forums which should hopefully aid in the SEO of it. All will be hosted on Irish servers soon enough.

As regarding, the use of the CIÉ logo's, no I hadn't gotten the entire permission from CIÉ group to use it. I had contacted them but had no response, so I thought they wouldn't have an issue with us using it considering it was an enthusiast group - although we had raised the issues of all logos and trademarks copyright of their original owners and that any infringement issues, we would remove logos if/when requested.

These SEO tips will be put into practice with the new forums, and I'd like to thank the person whom made the thread, although I'm still wondering who it is!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

It sounds like is a friend of yours.
    Anyhow did you look into AdWords campaign?

Advertisement