Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best CPU for Graphics Rendering & Manipulation

Options
  • 26-09-2006 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm buying a PC for research purposes - it will be used to live image a fluorescent microscope, basically taking high resolution 2D and 3D images from the mic and displaying on the screen in real time.

The Graphics Card I've gone for is a 256MB Radeon X600 but I'm not sure on which CPU I should go for.

I've heard (anecdotally) that the Athlon 64 processors are great for high res image manipulation etc and my current choice is between one of those (AMD 64 3800+) and a Pentium 4 (3Ghz) processor.

Anyone with any insight into what I should pick and why? any other considerations you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks

Psi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Whatever you do, don't get a P4. It may have a lot of GHz, but that doesn't mean much. Intel Netburst architecture is dead.

Now Intel's new Core chips are very good, just don't get a P4 if you go for Intel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

As was said avoid P4 not worth it.

CPU wise Athlon 64 or Intel Core 2 is your application multithreaded as the Athlon 64 X2 and Intel Core 2 are dual core CPU's and the program would benefit as such.

See benchmarks of picColour & Cinebench & Povray just to get an idea of how faster the above CPU's are compared to the P4.

In terms of graphics without knowing anything about it, is it rendering in OpenGL as it hard to gauge what to recommend what is the name of the software you use ?

Does it even make use of the GPU through hardware accelerated rendering or use the CPU to do the rendering ?

Basically I'd if you can afford it get an Intel Core 2 E6600 {<-if thats too pricey an E6400} or an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ if you prefer AMD {though the Core 2 is most likely faster in this line of work}.

Advertisement