Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnt case fan??

Options
  • 26-09-2006 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

:confused:

This is an oddity. I bought a nice Sharkoon fan yesterday with led's on the blades, but when I came back to my computer tonight after being away it wasn't spinning and I could smell burning plastic. Upon removing the fan I noticed it was very hot and the bad smell was coming from it. I don't really mind to be honest but what I'm interested in is if this problem was isolated to the fan itself or is indicative of a more serious problem, namely an overloaded PSU? Any help would be appreciated

System specs are:

420W PSU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    2GB DDR PC3200
    Creative SoundBlaster Live!
    BenQ DVD-RAM writer
    1 x 200 GB SATA HD
    1 x 160 GB SATA HD

GeForce 7900GT 256MB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

Its almost certainly a fault with the fan itself , most likely a short on one of the LEDs or something similar.

The burning can only have been caused by a high current draw , the power supply itself cannot make that happen , the only possible way it could cause something like that would be if the 12V rail got significantly higher than 12v , and with PSU's the voltage tends to swing down on overloading not up , so the PSU is most likely OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If it has a cable that allows it to be plugged into a mobo fan header, it might require that to be plugged in for the fans to be rotating...

Advertisement