Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Got Vodafone 3G, Some problems

• 26-09-2006 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a lot of good info from a previous thread and decided to get vodafone 3G connect card. I have some questions someone might be able to help with.

1. When i connect at home I get 3 bars of 3G and connect at various speeds, sometimes the connection is over gprs. If I want to download a file it starts off at maybe 30KB per second and tells me it it will take about 1 min, the the speed drops off and eventually gets to 3K per second. This happens in both 3G and GPRS.

2 When in work I connect to 3G all the time at 2 bars and connect at 1.8Mbps but the same thing happens when I download it starts off at 90KB per second and drops to maybe 15KB per second.

Anyone any ideas what might be causing this. I havent changed the config on vodafone software.

Thanks
    Michael

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You would have to download a file of at least 50Mb in each case and note when the speed settles down. I would think you only have gprs at home not 3g

you may have a burst/continous quota in example 2.

eg you get the full bandwidth for maybe 30-60 secs and when the network 'realises' you are downloading a big one it throttles you back to a lower level.

it would not affect browsing and a certain amount of email but would affect sustained downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I get fairly steady 350-odd kbps when downloading so I don't think they throttle downloads. The service would be useless if they did. It could be contention. I do notice it sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Ditto to Blaster's comment (I've got consistent download speeds in D6). I don't use it often enough to notice contention though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭mijmu

Just rang vodafone,

They think it is the laptop itself that is causing the problem. They got me to check the apps running in task manager and sophos is running. Killed these and the speed went up to 40KB per second. So it looks like that is the problem.

Has anyone used onspeed with the 3G connect card. Is it any use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

onspeed rerenders graphics , thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭mijmu

Anyone know if it is possible to get an outside 3G antenna for the E620 card.

Advertisement