Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel V Petrol

Options
  • 26-09-2006 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

So I'm getting killed with the fuel economy on my 01 Astra, spending about 50euro a week. I'm looking at the market again and trying to decide on a nice diesel. I have a limited budget though.

What I'm getting at is: does there exist good second hand petrol driven cars that would someway match the fuel economy of diesels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm in the same situation just now. I am looking to change and from what I have seen so far, diesel seems to be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

If you are doing anything over 15000 miles a year then a diesel is the way to go. If you are looking for something similar to your current car then i would suggest a vw golf tdi or a seat leon tdi (same engines). Although im a petrol head now i would more than recommend the old leon as i had 2 of them, the
    90bhp and 150bhp diesels. Even the 90bhp model was punchy and both were
    getting between 50-60 mpg! Again with the same engines i would also recommend the skoda octavia if you want something a bit bigger. All in all the
    VAG group have very good diesel engines (exception: avoid the old SDI engines like the plague!). Hope that helps, sorry dont know much on other diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Get yourself a diesel banger, e.g. VW Golf TDi circa 1995-1996; will cost you f**k-all to buy and run and will do 50 mpg even if you rake the bollocks out of it. Drive it like a nun and it'll do 60 mpg. Basically you're talking €50 to fill the tank and that will get you 600 miles of motoring. I had a tear in one of these (90bhp model) on Saturday night around Dundalk and took it right off the speedo (120mph indicated) on the M1.

edited to add: don't buy a red 1995 TDi Golf with VR6 side skirts and wheel arches area as it gets thrashed quite a bit ;)

Advertisement