Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Political Party to Join

Options
  • 26-09-2006 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I am interested in politics, and would love to play a part in improving things, but am unsure what to do next. In Ireland all the political parties are quite similar, and I agree and disagree with all of them in different ways, so which one should I join.

For example, I agree with the PDs in a lot of ways, but hate McDowell so much I could never join as long as he is around, or is that just short sighted.

Similarly I agree with a lot FG have to say, but am unsure about many of their senior members. I like most of the Labour party, but disagree with the underlying principle(perhaps)

So how does one move forward?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Dont join a party, Find something in your community that's happening or something you know about it and get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Kelter wrote:
    I am interested in politics,
    kelter wrote:
    and would love to play a part in improving things,

This is confusing and a contradiction if there ever was one. If you want to "play a part in improving things", call into the Simon Commmunity and give them a dig out for a few nights on their soup & sandwich run down across from Heuston Station, or call down to Fr. Peter Mc Verry in Merchants Quay and ask him does he need some help. If you genuinely want to help improve things, politics & political parties are the last place you would want to go near. If on the other hand, you really mean that you want to talk sh1te about improving things and really do nothing while growing more chins and having your snout stuck in the trough, then I suggest joining any political party out there, as you have already pointed out, they're all the same anyway. You will change absolutely nothing by becoming involved in politics, except your weight, the number of chins you will have and the balance in your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Darragh29 wrote:
    If on the other hand, you really mean that you want to talk sh1te about improving things and really do nothing while growing more chins and having your snout stuck in the trough, then I suggest joining any political party out there, as you have already pointed out, they're all the same anyway. You will change absolutely nothing by becoming involved in politics, except your weight, the number of chins you will have and the balance in your bank account.

I take it you don't bother to vote then?

The only way to really change things in this country is for a political party to get into power and then implement their policies. Would you prefare to live in a dictatorship, where you don't have the ability to post your views such as above?

Just because there were some bad apples in various parties doesn't mean all politicians are the same, they are not.

Also are you trying to say the Shinners are the same as the PDs? I think not!

I would applaude Kelter's intentions, all political parties have Cumainn or Branches which would welcome new members, most also hold open meeting, I would suggest Kelter attend some of them and perhaps talk to some of his local councillors. Also the various parties often publish position papers on numerous issues, which can be accessed via their web site.

If he agrees with the PDs and wants to change their leader, this can be done only from within that party.

skearon wrote:
    I take it you don't bother to vote then?
    Are you joking!?!?! I never miss voting, I've voted in every election since I turned 18. I am very careful who I vote for though...
    skearon wrote:
    The only way to really change things in this country is for a political party to get into power and then implement their policies. Would you prefare to live in a dictatorship, where you don't have the ability to post your views such as above?
    Politics in this country is beyond hope. Yes, I probably would prefer to live in a dictatorship, at least things would get done and heads would roll when people in charge fu*ked up.
    skearon wrote:
    Just because there were some bad apples in various parties doesn't mean all politicians are the same, they are not.
    The people who are in politics in this country are in it for the wrong reasons.
    skearon wrote:
    Also are you trying to say the Shinners are the same as the PDs? I think not!
    No
    skearon wrote:
    I would applaude Kelter's intentions, all political parties have Cumainn or Branches which would welcome new members, most also hold open meeting, I would suggest Kelter attend some of them and perhaps talk to some of his local councillors. Also the various parties often publish position papers on numerous issues, which can be accessed via their web site.

If he agrees with the PDs and wants to change their leader, this can be done only from within that party.

First question I would ask the OP is what he or she thinks they can contribute to Irish politics???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

skearon wrote:
    Of course! I'm a PD who would, to put it nicely, would rather McDowell did not get the leadership. But skearon is right -change has to come internally and McDowell has to satisfy both Party's Liberal and Conservative Wings if he wants to stay in the position.
    The only way to change it is from within. Join whichever Party you feel best suits you and, for lack of a better phrase, use your influence, however small, as a member to help change the Party into what you would like it to be. Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Darragh29 wrote:
    Yes, I probably would prefer to live in a dictatorship, at least things would get done and heads would roll when people in charge fu*ked up.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Do you have any concept of what a dictatorship(or a democracy) is at all. In a dictatorship, people stay ion power when they screw up, in a democracy, people can vote to get rid of people when they mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I thin the op should join Fianna Fail

1) They have less extreme opinions than PD.Labour.

2) They ARE more likely to be in power that any other party and thus more likely to have an effect on the way this country is run and by joining them you are more likely to have an impact on matters you feel strongly about.

As an additional pointer te suggestiong of getting involved in community work would improve profile i the community and by default your prospects of selection and thus election as a FF candidate

What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Do you have any concept of what a dictatorship(or a democracy) is at all. In a dictatorship, people stay ion power when they screw up, in a democracy, people can vote to get rid of people when they mess up.

Let me see, a dictatorship is when people in government take backhanders and are completely unaccountable to anyone, whereas a democracy is when people in government take "loans" and don't pay them back...

I think the difference is purely academic.

narommy wrote:
    I thin the op should join Fianna Fail

1) They have less extreme opinions than PD.Labour.

2) They ARE more likely to be in power that any other party and thus more likely to have an effect on the way this country is run and by joining them you are more likely to have an impact on matters you feel strongly about.

As an additional pointer te suggestiong of getting involved in community work would improve profile i the community and by default your prospects of selection and thus election as a FF candidate

Yeah, cos joining FF is going to make a difference... :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Join whichever party is the closest match to your personal value system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

where are their value systems writen?

Darragh29 wrote:
    I think the difference is purely academic.
    #

The families of the 3 million or so North Koreans who died in the 90s, or the victims of what in practice amount to dictatorships all around the world might think connecting a €50k payment with what they live through is a joke in very bad taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Kelter wrote:
    where are their value systems writen?

If you go to Wikipedia you will see that the ideologies are listed as (this is probably not strictly what you are looking for but is an a broad sense) :

Fianna Fail; Irish nationalism, Conservatism, Republicanism, Populism

Fine Gael; Christian Democracy

Labour; Social democracy

PDs; Liberalism

Obviously these are quite broad

Maybe you could do up a list of issues such as the below

Abortions?
    Right to privacy?
    US military use of shannon airport?
    Free third level education?
    Free medical care?
    Social housing?
    Garda Reserve Force?
    Increased security checks at airports?
    Right to strike/protest?

and decide which party most closely matches your views on the above

or you could do this test

http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=electireland

Or the political compass test

http://www.politicalcompass.org/questionnaire

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Johnnymcg wrote:

:eek: Says I'm Fianna Fail then Fianna Gail :confused: I thought I was PDs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Johnnymcg wrote:

Interesting web sites - thanks for the links

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

exiztone wrote:
    :eek: Says I'm Fianna Fail then Fianna Gail :confused: I thought I was PDs :eek:

Don't take it too literally

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement