Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N7 Tales

Options
  • 26-09-2006 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Last Friday heading down the N7 I saw the most appalling driving I have seen in a long time.

There was a small red car (Seat Arosa or similar) in the leftmost lane. A articulated lorry began an overtaking manouver and moved into the middle lane of the road near the Citywest exit. I was about 8:30 in the evening and traffic was relatively heavy. As the lorry overtook the car its indicator came on as the car was halfway down the trailer. My mouth hit the floor when the truck began moving back into the leftmost lane with the car still beside it. The car had to suddenly swerve into the hard shoulder and hit the brakes. The truck carried on oblivious. As I was in the leftmost lane the truck was now ahead of me but the person driving the small car must have been in shock and then tried to rejoin the N7 by moving back into my lane. It was either put the foot down time or hit the brakes hard. As I accelerated, the small car came into my lane causing me to move right and come fairly close to a car in the middle lane.
    Now is it just me of is it that difficult for lorry drivers to judge the length of the trailer. I am aware that when lorries overtake one another they will flash the lights to signal that it is safe to move back in. I dont think his actions were deliberate but I am still gobsmacked at his stupidity. Luckily it all ended ok but it could have been a bad accident. Gave a nice loud honk as I passed him. If the person driving that small car is reading this, then I hope you are ok.

I shall reserve ranting about idiots in the middle lane on this road and save it for another thread!! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

I am afraid the N7 is not a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A moment of inattention is all it takes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Did the car he was overtaking accelerate, as the truck driver went to overtake ? M50 two days ago, overtaking lane.. farting along about 45mph, decided to.. undertake.. slowly.. irresposible I know.. but there was a guy with a jeep and trailer sitting in the overtaking lane with a quque of cars behind him slumped back into the seat oblivious to the ****ing world.

Big Big Big eductaion needed on how to.. 'use' 'the big roads' 'the big roads'. Oh and also how to 'make progress' rather than take off at traffic lights and take 11 hours to get up to the posted speed limit.

TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

the_batman wrote:
    I am afraid the N7 is not a motorway.

There. I changed it just for you. :rolleyes:
    Would you like to correct my spelling mistakes also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Drax wrote:
    As I was in the leftmost lane the truck was now ahead of me but the person driving the small car must have been in shock and then tried to rejoin the N7 by moving back into my lane. It was either put the foot down time or hit the brakes hard. As I accelerated, the small car came into my lane causing me to move right and come fairly close to a car in the middle lane.

When you saw the truck's indicator going on, you should have braked then. To try to accellerate past the small car at the last second was reckless on your behalf. Of course the other dirver was going to try to correct their position on the road it was bad enough the truck driver forcing them almost off the road without you compounding it by trying to keep them there, what did you expect?

• Advertisement

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Did the car he was overtaking accelerate, as the truck driver went to overtake ?

NeMiSiS, Nope... he stayed at a constant rate. This is what confused me. If there had been a previous 'altercation' back down the road maybe.
    But I just think the lorry driver was half asleep.

No, there is no need to correct your spelling. I am quite good at reading words phonetically.
    Drax wrote:
    I shall reserve ranting about idiots in the middle lane on this road and save it for another thread!! :mad:

Could you let me know what you mean about the "idiots in the middle lane of this road"?

I don't understand what your point is?

alias no.9 wrote:
    When you saw the truck's indicator going on, you should have braked then. To try to accellerate past the small car at the last second was reckless on your behalf. Of course the other dirver was going to try to correct their position on the road it was bad enough the truck driver forcing them almost off the road without you compounding it by trying to keep them there, what did you expect?

Alias. How are you too. I see you are once again trying to give me a hard time. The car was fully on the hard shoulder and slowing down because of the lorry's actions. I would imagine that the driver was in a slightly distressed state and thought of immediately merging back into the traffic. Had I decided to brake I would have had 2 or 3 cars into the back of my car (As I said, traffic was heavy). Seeing as the front of my car was almost at the rear of his, my instinct was to accelerate out of the situation. It was as I was performing this manouver that the car in question moved back into my lane without looking.

NeMiSiS wrote:
    Did the car he was overtaking accelerate, as the truck driver went to overtake ? M50 two days ago, overtaking lane.. farting along about 45mph, decided to.. undertake.. slowly.. irresposible I know.. but there was a guy with a jeep and trailer sitting in the overtaking lane with a quque of cars behind him slumped back into the seat oblivious to the ****ing world.

If you're going to undertake, do it fast and use the horn. You never know when they'll come in on top of you.

the_batman wrote:
    Could you let me know what you mean about the "idiots in the middle lane of this road"? I don't understand what your point is?
    Sorry - this comment should maybe have been reserved for a different thread. 3 lanes. Keep left rule. Yet the amount of 'idiots' who seem drive along this road in the middle lane is unreal. I like to stick with the 'keep left' advice but end up having to jump 2 lanes to overtake these people and move back to the far left. On occasion I have undertaken them. Is 3 lanes too much to understand. Even on a relatively empty road there will be people doddling along in the centre lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Drax wrote:
    Alias. How are you too. I see you are once again trying to give me a hard time. The car was fully on the hard shoulder and slowing down because of the lorry's actions. I would imagine that the driver was in a slightly distressed state and thought of immediately merging back into the traffic. Had I decided to brake I would have had 2 or 3 cars into the back of my car (As I said, traffic was heavy). Seeing as the front of my car was almost at the rear of his, my instinct was to accelerate out of the situation. It was as I was performing this manouver that the car in question moved back into my lane without looking.

Your braking should have happened before you even knew what the driver of the car in front would do. What if he didn't pull in and had just braked hard to let the trailer pass him and the trailer of the truck had clipped the front of his car and spun him around in your path. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just pointing out that while you're blasting the actions of the truck driver, and deservedly so, your own weren't exactly exemplary. Don't worry about the traffic behind you in a case like this, it's their responsibility to be able to stop behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Driving down the N7 yesterday morning. A lorry was over taking for 3 MILES at 60 miles an hour while the lorries in the other lane were doing 59.7.

This does my fnckin' head in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

the_batman wrote:
    Could you let me know what you mean about the "idiots in the middle lane of this road"?

I don't understand what your point is?

I assume he is referring to the fact that you are supposed to drive in the leftmost lane at all times. Unlike the many idiots who sit in the middle lane even thought there is no traffic on their left.

prospect wrote:
    I assume he is referring to the fact that you are supposed to drive in the leftmost lane at all times. Unlike the many idiots who sit in the middle lane even thought there is no traffic on their left.

The OP said something about having to "jump 2 lanes to overtake these people and move back to the far left", so I don't think he was talking about people sitting in the middle lane when the left lane was clear.

On three lane dual carriageways the left lane rule does apply, but drivers are allowed to stay in the middle lane if that lane is moving faster than the left lane.

The thing that annoys me is when people sit in the overtaking lane, and even worse when they sit in the overtaking lane but refer to is as the "Fast Lane"!!!

the_batman wrote:
    On three lane dual carriageways the left lane rule does apply, but drivers are allowed to stay in the middle lane if that lane is moving faster than the left lane.

The thing that annoys me is when people sit in the overtaking lane, and even worse when they sit in the overtaking lane but refer to is as the "Fast Lane"!!!

Oh, i agree.

However, on the N7 it is very common to see people sitting in the middle lane, when there is no obstruction on the left lane. In fact, I regularly drive in the left lane with my CC set to 100KM/h and pass out everyone in the middle and right lane? People seem to have an aversion to the left lane, even though in many instances they would be quicker if they stayed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think the 3 lane system is very confusing. I'm never sure if the lane on the far left is a driving lane or a turning lane (I don't drive on it often enough to memorise the layout). If there was a sign that pointed out the point at which the 3-lane proper stretch began and ended. (the same way you sometimes have a sign indicating the start of a dual carriageway when it's confusing).

the_batman wrote:
    The OP said something about having to "jump 2 lanes to overtake these people and move back to the far left", so I don't think he was talking about people sitting in the middle lane when the left lane was clear.

On an otherwise empty 3 lane road, if the OP was driving in the left lane and wanted to overtake someone sitting in the middle lane then he would have to jump two lanes to pass them on the right, no?

Anan1 wrote:
    On an otherwise empty 3 lane road, if the OP was driving in the left lane and wanted to overtake someone sitting in the middle lane then he would have to jump two lanes to pass them on the right, no?

Strictly speaking, yes and no.

If you are doing a constant speed (under or on the limit) and are in the left lane when you catch up on a vehicle in the middle lane travelling slower, you are entitled to maintain your speed and road position.
    However, if you are in the middle lane, it is illegal to move to into the left lane, pass the other vehicle and move back into the middle lane, as this qualifies as overtaking on the left, which is illegal in most situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

prospect wrote:
    Strictly speaking, yes and no.

If you are doing a constant speed (under or on the limit) and are in the left lane when you catch up on a vehicle in the middle lane travelling slower, you are entitled to maintain your speed and road position.
    However, if you are in the middle lane, it is illegal to move to into the left lane, pass the other vehicle and move back into the middle lane, as this qualifies as overtaking on the left, which is illegal in most situations.

Hmmm, thats interesting, i never heard that before, i always assumed it was only legal to undertake when traffic was slow moving. Are you sure about your statement above? I don't mean to be picky and i hope you are correct, but can you provide a source for your claim? Does it apply to motorways too?

SOP

prospect wrote:

I don't think you are. My understanding is that you are only allowed to overtake on the left in such circumstances in slow-moving traffic. The definition of slow-moving traffic is uncertain, but I would imagine it's nowhere near the motorway speed limit.

prospect wrote:
    Agreed. Of course, on an otherwise empty road one wouldn't be in the middle lane in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

undertaking implies a change of lane, as does overtaking. If you are driving in the left-hand most lane, and you come across a sunday driver in the middle lane, it is not required to cross the entire carriage way into the third laneto overtake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anan1 wrote:
    on an otherwise empty road one wouldn't be in the middle lane in the first place.
    Plenty of drivers seem to think one keeps right on an empty road. I regularly begin work at 4am so I am often on the M1 at 3.30am. I regularly have muppets in front of me who will not move over to a deserted left lane.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

testicle wrote:
    undertaking implies a change of lane, as does overtaking. If you are driving in the left-hand most lane, and you come across a sunday driver in the middle lane, it is not required to cross the entire carriage way into the third laneto overtake them.
    That's your opinion. I'd like to see you argue that point in a court of law.

testicle wrote:
    undertaking implies a change of lane, as does overtaking.
    No it doesn't, it just means to pass.

testicle wrote:
    If you are driving in the left-hand most lane, and you come across a sunday driver in the middle lane, it is not required to cross the entire carriage way into the third laneto overtake them.
    It is. With the exceptions of the circumstances outlined in the ROTR, it is illegal to pass on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Bad driving on the N7 isn't a new phenomenon. True story from about 1992. I was driving a van load of glass to Naas and was going uphill towards the Poitin Still, was only going about 45mph. This was when cars wanting to leave Rathcoole for Dublin from the Poitin Still end had to cross 3 lanes to head east to Dublin.

So there's me in the middle lane, doing 45. About 50 yards ahead of me is a petrol tanker pulling in to Rathcoole and about 20 yards behind me was one of those big Dan Ryan Rental trucks. A bloody liteace zips out across the road in front of me without any warning I couldn't see him because of the tanker, but he couldn't see me either. Obviously he got pissed off waiting and just put the foot down. Anyway, I stood on the brakes and the van pulled slightly to the left, missing the liteace by about 1 ft, no exageration. I would have clipped the back of his van leaving him facing the rental truck head on!

Unbelievable driving, absolutely unbelievable. I wonder how many people he has hurt in accidents he caused since.

Firstly, I don't think UNDERTAKING is actually a word. afaik it is referred to as overtaking on the inside/left.

From the Rules Of The road:
    • Normally you must overtake on the right but overtaking on the left is permitted -
    • When the driver ahead has moved out and given a right turn signal and you intend to go straight ahead or turn left.
    • When you intend to turn left and have signalled this intention.
    • Where traffic is moving slowly and the vehicles in the lane on your right are moving more slowly than the traffic in your lane.

LANE DISCIPLINE
    The normal "keep left" rule applies. This means that you stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking. In a three lane carriageway you may stay in the centre lane while there is slower moving traffic on the inner lane. A vehicle drawing a trailer should not use the right-hand lane of a carriageway with three or more lanes except in exceptional circumstances.

EDIT:
    Also, point of note,
    Over the last few weeks, I have passed speed checks at the Kilteel turn-off with not reaction from the Gardai.
    Also, I recently passed a garda car in the middle lane queue, who obviously thought I was on a winner and he changed into the left lane and happily trundled along behind me.

OVERTAKING
    Overtake on the right only, unless traffic is moving in queues and the traffic queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are.

The section about overtaking describs exactly the situation I encounter most evenings. The middle and right lanes are almost full of traffic doig 80 to 90 km/h, so I stay in the left lane and pass them at the legal limit, 100km/h.

Also note, those vehicles should not be in the centre lane unless the left lane is occupied by slower moving traffic.

Regarding the definition of overtaking, the dictionary simply defines it as "To pass another vehicle", however I believe it is the act of changing out of lanes that is considered overtaking.

prospect wrote:
    Firstly, I don't think UNDERTAKING is actually a word. afaik it is referred to as overtaking on the inside/left.
    It isn't, but it sums up what we're talking about pretty well, we all know what is meant, and it's far easier to type than overtaking on the inside.

prospect wrote:
    Overtake on the right only, unless traffic is moving in queues and the traffic queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are.[/I]

The section about overtaking describs exactly the situation I encounter most evenings. The middle and right lanes are almost full of traffic doig 80 to 90 km/h, so I stay in the left lane and pass them at the legal limit, 100km/h..
    Don't get me wrong, I pass on the left in such situations too. This is illegal though, as I can't see any judge accepting the description of streams of traffic doing 80km/h as a "queue".

prospect wrote:
    Regarding the definition of overtaking, the dictionary simply defines it as "To pass another vehicle", however I believe it is the act of changing out of lanes that is considered overtaking.
    Overtaking is passing, pure & simple. If you change lanes and don't pass, you're not overtaking. If you don't change lanes and do pass then you are overtaking. Changing lanes is changing lanes, and overtaking is overtaking.:)

Anan1 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I pass on the left in such situations too. This is illegal though, as I can't see any judge accepting the description of streams of traffic doing 80km/h as a "queue".

:confused:
    And what would you think he would define a full lane of traffic travelling below the speed limit as?

Also,
    What would you think he would require to be defined as a queue.

AFAI am concerned, the situation on the N7 is exactly what is described in the exemption, ie. A queue of slow moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

prospect wrote:
    From the Rules Of The road:
    • Normally you must overtake on the right but overtaking on the left is permitted -
    • When the driver ahead has moved out and given a right turn signal and you intend to go straight ahead or turn left.
    • When you intend to turn left and have signalled this intention.
    • Where traffic is moving slowly and the vehicles in the lane on your right are moving more slowly than the traffic in your lane.

this is how i remember the rules regarding undertaking. Then again, where does it define the speed of "slowly moving traffic"? Is going 1kmh below the permitted speed limit deemed as movign slowly? hadn't thought about this before, but it is open to interpretation.
    :eek:
    eh? But the definition you provide makes no mention of lane change! I've never seen someone quote the definition of a term and then not accept it. Thats a novel approach! :p

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    :confused:
    And what would you think he would define a full lane of traffic travelling below the speed limit as?
    Exactly that, a full lane of traffic travelling below the speed limit.
    prospect wrote:
    Also,
    What would you think he would require to be defined as a queue.
    A queue is a line of waiting people or traffic, such as you'd find at the toll booths on the M50.

Advertisement