Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N7 Tales

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

A queue doesn't have to be static.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

blastman wrote:
    A queue doesn't have to be static.
    A queue is a line of vehicles or people waiting for something, for example to pay at a toll plaza. Of course queues do move, but to suggest that cars moving at 80km/h are "queueing" is self-evidently ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I would say they're queueing in the usually vain hope of getting past the twat at the front if they eventually decide to pull over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anan1 wrote:
    A queue is a line of vehicles or people waiting for something, for example to pay at a toll plaza. Of course queues do move, but to suggest that cars moving at 80km/h are "queueing" is self-evidently ridiculous.

So, what's the maximum speed of a queue then?

The law states traffic moving slowly, it does not mention a queue...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Anan1 wrote:

Slightly strong remark Anan1.
    I would say it is a matter of opinion, as I would consider several cars moving at a constant speed which is below the subjects speed, (assuming the subject is driving at a legal speed), to be a queue of slower moving traffic.

I would also suggest that this would be the case if you were brought to court, if you are lucky, you will get a judge who shares my opinion and lets you off. If you are unlucky, you will get a judge who shares Anan1's opinion, and prosecute you.

I must say, I take your statment above as a personal insult, as I would indeed suggest that cars moving at 80km/h are "queueing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

I'm from Rathcoole originally and use to catch a bus from Poitin Stil on Sunday nights to College... we used to go up about 30 mins early just to watch the crashes ...
    Bad driving on the N7 isn't a new phenomenon. True story from about 1992. I was driving a van load of glass to Naas and was going uphill towards the Poitin Still, was only going about 45mph. This was when cars wanting to leave Rathcoole for Dublin from the Poitin Still end had to cross 3 lanes to head east to Dublin.

So there's me in the middle lane, doing 45. About 50 yards ahead of me is a petrol tanker pulling in to Rathcoole and about 20 yards behind me was one of those big Dan Ryan Rental trucks. A bloody liteace zips out across the road in front of me without any warning I couldn't see him because of the tanker, but he couldn't see me either. Obviously he got pissed off waiting and just put the foot down. Anyway, I stood on the brakes and the van pulled slightly to the left, missing the liteace by about 1 ft, no exageration. I would have clipped the back of his van leaving him facing the rental truck head on!

Unbelievable driving, absolutely unbelievable. I wonder how many people he has hurt in accidents he caused since.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

prospect wrote:
    Slightly strong remark Anan1.
    I would say it is a matter of opinion, as I would consider several cars moving at a constant speed which is below the subjects speed, (assuming the subject is driving at a legal speed), to be a queue of slower moving traffic.

I would also suggest that this would be the case if you were brought to court, if you are lucky, you will get a judge who shares my opinion and lets you off. If you are unlucky, you will get a judge who shares Anan1's opinion, and prosecute you.

I must say, I take your statment above as a personal insult, as I would indeed suggest that cars moving at 80km/h are "queueing".

It was not my intention to insult you personally, and for that I apologise. As I have already said, I undertake regularly myself, given the lane discipline in this country I simply don't see any other way. As has been said previously, to the best of my knowledge the law in any case refers not to queues but to slow-moving traffic. My guess would be the intended meaning is traffic moving at a maximum of 20-30km/h, although as you've said we'd really have to see what the judge says. I do, however, find it somewhat disturbing that a driver could actually believe overtaking on the left to be legal at speeds upwards of 80km/h, when it is clearly stated in the ROTR that this is not the case.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anan1 wrote:
    The definition of slow-moving traffic is uncertain, but I would imagine it's nowhere near the motorway speed limit.
    According to a Garda Sargeant friend if the car is not in effectively rush hour traffic then the driver is liable to get pulled!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In such situations where Iovertake on theleft (i.e.muppet in front illegally stays in right lane ), I stay in the left lane then.

I'd wonder how it would be classed if said muppet was doing 30Kph on the M50. If there was no traffic in front of him (obviously) then there'd be no queue and technically the left lanerswould have to maintain the same speed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Anan1 wrote:
    It was not my intention to insult you personally, and for that I apologise.

No worries.

To further elaborate on your point regarding the strict definition of a queue, “a line of people or vehicles waiting for something" e.g. a toll bridge, it seems to me to be self contradictory:

If traffic is only a queue when waiting for lights to change, or a toll or an accident to clear, then surely when they move (at any speed) they are no longer waiting/queuing, but they are actually progressing towards their destination?
    So, the same principle can be applied when a line of traffic is moving slowly, albeit, there is no obstruction ahead, but the physics of the line of traffic are the same? Therefore it is no more/less, safe/illegal?

I would imagine it has deliberately been left vague, as my POV and Anan1s both seem logical and acceptable. This way, a Garda can use their discretion/mood to decide if the subject should be subject to prosecution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement