Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Net Access on My Mobile Very Expensive. Help!

• 26-09-2006 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

As I haven't got net access at home and I can't check my emails at work, I tend to use my mobile a lot to access my Gmail account. I find it really handy and until recently cheap.

Now my mobile net access is costing me .44 cent per minute which is too expensive. Does anyone know if Vodafone charges have gone up? I know they use to charge 2c per Kb but how do you measure that on a phone. The site I access is IMO pretty low on the Kb so it should be cheap.

Here's the site:
    http://gmobile.sayni.net/xhtml

Btw its better that Googles mobile email version.

Jaqian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Welcome to the world of mobile data. Legalised Extortion is a phrase that I often use to describe it.

Anyway, you seem to be mixing up the two different methods of accessing websites - GPRS and Dial-up.

GPRS is charged on a per-kb basis and dial-up is charged on a per-minute basis. Did you actually change from one to the other yourself? (Vodafone supports both, obviously). GPRS may be cheaper in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

ensure that your phone is connecting to the web via the access point: isp.vodafone.ie

On postpaid this apn is charged @ 2c per kb, but there are data bundles available to minimise your bill.
    This apn is available on prepaid too @ a rate of €2 per MB.

The isp.vodafone.ie apn is a good general apn as it works for web browsing as well as using the email client function on your handset.
    This apn may not be enabled on your network profile by default. You should ring vodafone to ensure that you are set up for it.
    Most handsets have this apn pre-programmed into it, some of the older/cheaper ones may need this apn to manualy specified in the handset/browser settings area of your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you're attached to gmail, O2 is cheaper for GPRS and I think Meteor is cheaper again.

I believe e-mail is free with 3, but you'll need to use a username@3mail.com type of e-mail address. You can also use Hotmail with 3 and you get an hour (continuous) free per day and additional charges are lower than any of the others, but 3 likes to limit access to most sites including GMail. I'm fairly sure Hotmail is available, though.

O2 has e-mail on the i-mode service that's delivered to the handset. Probably cheaper than your gmail/Vodafone setup, but they charge for it. Again, you'll get an o2.ie type of e-mail address.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

meteor is 2c/kb jsut like vodafone.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a different rate, but Meteor's new web site is impossible to decipher so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

i want to set up my gmail account to access it from my v3i dg, i am on meteor any ideas?

Blaster99 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a different rate, but Meteor's new web site is impossible to decipher so who knows.

Ah, I got confused by the "ISP GPRS" rate which is 0.5c per Kb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

route web viewing thru skweezer.net to cut down on browsing charges over gprs or 3G... Helps some.. i have it set to my home page...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

jaqian wrote:
    As I haven't got net access at home and I can't check my emails at work, I tend to use my mobile a lot to access my Gmail account. I find it really handy and until recently cheap.

Have you thought about using a BlackBerry? o2s charges for this are reasonable, €20 per month for unlimited (within reason!) email and handset-browsing (in addition to your call tariff). You get a o2mail.ie address and can add up to ten POP or IMAP (including Gmail) addresses to the handset....I'd be lost without mine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

If you're on a tarrif that's based on the amount of data you download, rather than the time it takes to download it, you may want to try installing the opera mini browser.

IIRC, it filters pages down to a fairly small size.
    It seems to have made a huge difference to my GPRS bills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement