Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuggin warlock...

Options
  • 26-09-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Howya!

well from cs:s to WoW for a break eh ;)

over the last week i've been leveling up my new warlock on the laughing skull pvp realm, im now on lvl 23 and have a few questions if possible for any experienced warlocks out there...

would i be correct in thinking:

A. an imp is only usefull when there is a tank in use?
    B. a void walker is the best pet for solo'ing (i.e. he tanks?)
    C. A sucubus, @ level 23 is a complete farcical useless pile of poo...
    D. casting fear, attracts the agro of anyone the feared individual runs by? i.e. if i use fear to get rid of somebody, but if that git runs by a pack the pack also chase me? :(

also what should i be spending my skill points on? i want to be a damage dealer if possible...

Thank you!

[edit]ooops forgot to say thank you...[/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

That'd be the main use of an imp alright, for blood pact, and later on for Dark Pact, if you spec into it.
    Yes and no. This one depends on your talent-spec. Some warlocks will use the succubus when soloing, as her high damage output far outstrips anything blueberry can do. If you have talent points in the right places you can tank most mobs yourself using drain life & siphon life to keep you topped up, while your dots and succubus finishes off the mob.
    She's useless until she gets Lash of Pain and Seduce.
    D. casting fear, attracts the agro of anyone the feared individual runs by? i.e. if i use fear to get rid of somebody, but if that git runs by a pack the pack also chase me? :(
    Yes, if the feared mob is of a type which will link with another. Most aggressive mobs you fear will pull others of the same type if they encounter them. Other mobs will link with a feared mob even if they're of a different type. And some won't link at all :)
    also what should i be spending my skill points on? i want to be a damage dealer if possible...
    You can always re-spec your talent points :) If you're looking to do damage then destruction is the tree for you, probably... I'd probably put at least enough in affliction to get instant cast corruption though. There's lots of stickys on the official wow forums about warlock talent spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

thanks a million moridin, but i cant access the official forums from work, and well when im at home... im playing WoW :D

by "dots" you mean afflictions? corruption etc?

ill resist the game for 10 minutes tonight to go off and have a looksie ;)

"blueberry"

class, what a fitting name for him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

cance wrote:
    by "dots" you mean afflictions? corruption etc?

Damage Over Time s I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

cance give me a shout later ill be able to direct you to some handy sites/builds for your lock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

VW or Succy (when it gets seduce). For grinding up spec into the affliction tree. After you hit 60 you can respec, but affliction is easiest way for a lock to level, with some points in demonology maybe.
    End game spec will depend if you are PVPing or raiding. specs will differ alot.
    You are right about fear, but generally they'll only pull mobs of the same type. Not always the case, test it in an area and find out and make a decision whether it is safe to use or not.

Also take the time out to read the stickied threads on the warlock forum. There is alot of excellent information there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Never fear in an instance :P

As stated, spend most of your talent points in the affliction tree.
    If you are gonna pvp when you reach 60 then Destruction is the way to go :P
    At least for me...

KoKane wrote:

I know :mad: I learnt that the hard way....

"oops"
    "whadya mean ooops? you just pulled 7 elites on us!!!!1!!1"

Cheers for the advice!

so the general concensus is stick with affliction and touch on destruction until level 60 then retrain into destruction for pvp? or keep it with affliction for raiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

cance wrote:
    I know :mad: I learnt that the hard way....

"oops"
    "whadya mean ooops? you just pulled 7 elites on us!!!!1!!1"

Cheers for the advice!

so the general concensus is stick with affliction and touch on destruction until level 60 then retrain into destruction for pvp? or keep it with affliction for raiding?

Also NEVER assume that a mob will stop chasing you in an instance either.

Gnomeragan for example. Jumped into the pit with a crappy mob chasing me, pit was already cleared as I was joining up with a group that was pretty much at the end.
    It took 3 mins or so to get to them and the coast was clear.
    We started fighting stuff for a while and all of a sudden the entire uncleared population of Gnomo came down on our heads. Like 20 elites. We wiped in about 2-3 seconds. They had pathed to me. I wasnt popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

KoKane wrote:

Lies! There are times where fear is king in cetain encounters.. but there are other times where fear is bad so so bad...

Jumpy wrote:
    Also NEVER assume that a mob will stop chasing you in an instance either.

it flashes up on my screen "entering combat" and "leaving combat" so that tells me when i have lost them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

cance wrote:
    it flashes up on my screen "entering combat" and "leaving combat" so that tells me when i have lost them :)

I didnt have scrolling combat text back then.

Jumpy wrote:
    I didnt have scrolling combat text back then.

OIC its a new feature? ahhhh that makes more sense!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

D. casting fear, attracts the agro of anyone the feared individual runs by? i.e. if i use fear to get rid of somebody, but if that git runs by a pack the pack also chase me?

A - Not nessicarily, an Imp is very good in alot of situations, especially PvP ones.

B - I would tend to agree.

C - I would disagree, Sucubus' are very handy in the right situations! (and arent too bad looking either! :p) [joke]

D - Yes, thats correct.

ah! i dinged lvl 38 last night, favourite pet by far is still the blue berry, but the fellhunter is rly handy against casters.

COME ON LVL 40!!! Come on my precious Felsteed. Im sick to the teeth of being ganked running through stranglethorn by lvl 40-50's running by on their mounts then then jumping on me... catch me now fuggers!

sry to any other class out there, but the felsteed is the coolest first mount....

First of all, congrats on the ding ;)

Second, I hate warlocks for their free mounts (not hate, envy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

The only free one is at 40....
    I got my dreadsteed, used it for a while, realised that I hated it in BGs for the high mana cost (back then) and the fact it could be counter spelled. Then I bought a wolf, never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

But...but... the free inventory slot!

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Then I bought a wolf, never looked back.

excuse the newbyness, but warlocks can buy more mounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

cance wrote:
    excuse the newbyness, but warlocks can buy more mounts?

Warlocks can buy whatever their race mount is like anyone else can. So an Orc Warlock can buy the wolf mount.

Also, if you PVP a lot, there are mounts at rank 11 you can get, regardless of class. And if you're exalted with Frostwolf (AV) you can get their wolf mount too. You can get other faction mounts too but it requires lots of time/money/runecloth :p

koneko wrote:
    Also, if you PVP a lot, there are mounts at rank 11 you can get,

A mount... at level 11... TELL ME MORE!!! :)

was never mad about pvp as a warlock, lots of honor points just spamming my dots, but not many full fledged kills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

cance wrote:
    A mount... at level 11... TELL ME MORE!!! :)

was never mad about pvp as a warlock, lots of honor points just spamming my dots, but not many full fledged kills.

1: Rank is not level. Ranking is a PVP system, but its being replaced in the expansion anyhow.

2: Im a Warlock and usually get in the top3 Killing Blows in BGs. Just dont spec Affliction if you want Killing blows.. plenty more in the Talents to go for.

Matt

Level 11 in PvP is extremely hard to get to, and keep :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Deaddude wrote:
    QFT... I stopped at rank 9 because it was taking WAY too much time solidly PvP'ing to even have a chance at ranking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Deaddude wrote:

I'm loving it. :D Got my mounts, and I don't ever have to go into a BG again. :P

Was good fun though.

Apparently this guy, in his late fiftys on a PvP european server has kept the maxium PvP level: 13 FOR NEARLY A YEAR!!

Apparently this guy just LOVES PvP. and I mean LOVE IT XD

well it was a long weekend but i got my mount! W00000000000000000000T! so worth the hours spent!

interestingly, do you guys play pvp servers? if so how do you get anything done in stranglethorn vale? its just gank gank gank gank gank, soulstone log off atm. it is alot easier later at night, what with all the kiddie lvl 60 prícks gone to bed, but still!

/disagrees just save up for a normal epic mount :D

cance wrote:
    interestingly, do you guys play pvp servers? if so how do you get anything done in stranglethorn vale? its just gank gank gank gank gank, soulstone log off atm. it is alot easier later at night, what with all the kiddie lvl 60 prícks gone to bed, but still!
    I'm not on a PvP server - yet! I'm rerolling to one when I start playing again over Christmas.
    Stranglethorn Vale isn't the only place to quest when you're lv35-40... Desolace and Arathi Highlands are quieter and contain fewer kiddies.

thats exactly what i did from 35-40 i went straight to desolace, arathi and duskwallow marsh. at least in desolace i stood a chance as the horde were < lvl 30.

but now @ lvl 41 im struggling to find another place to go. I know of the swamp of sorrows, but A. fail to find missions to venture there and B. cannot see a flight path for it?

Think ill start doing SMC for the drops till my friendies get to lvl 40 and quest with them for a while.

• Advertisement

If you're alliance, then fly to Duskwood and go through Deadwind Pass to get to Swamp of Sorrows. Horde flight path is in Stonard, and there's horde Stonard Scouts everywhere there.
    You can probably head to Badlands and Uldaman (though you'll need to get up to about 47 for the full run, it's horribly imbalanced at the end) now too.

Advertisement