Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Renewal - Getting Scammed

Options
  • 26-09-2006 1:12pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

I'm with AXA for my car insurance and it's up for renewal shortly.
    I claimed for a windscreen during the year which cost €613
    I have full glass cover so I shouldn't have to pay anything for it.

I got my renewal in the post and it was a fair bit more than I was expecting
    €1450 :eek:

I thought I was after being charged for my windscreen So i decided to ring up and get a new quote.
    I gave all the same details (apart from insurance co) and got a quote of €843 - €607 euro cheaper:eek:
    Pretty close to the cost of my windscreen:cool:

I got a reference number all right but when I asked for a further discount because my Mother is with AXA the guy on the fone said "something strange has happened to the numbers I will call you back"

I'm afraid he will come back with the higher quote - but what should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Speaking as one who had a brither in AXA for years, it is a sad fact ( for everyone else) that strokes are there for family and friends of staff.

You'll be ok. It should be down on last year, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm with Quinn and I just got my renewal quote... 500 more than last year???? no claims or anything. so I got another quote online from Quinn and it's 120 cheaper than last year, that's 620 difference. What are they at? b*stards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Speaking as one who had a brother in AXA for years, it is a sad fact ( for everyone else) that strokes are there for family and friends of staff.

You'll be ok. It should be down on last year, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

Well they will try & fob you off by saying the PC is broke or something similar.

If they insist this is happening just ring back up & give your irish name or something & change your address ie 35 main st to 53 main st & get a new businees quote & ask them to post it out to you.
    if your NCB & licence details & car etc etc should be an exact match.
    then wait til ya have the lower quote in writing & ring back AXA & kick up a fuss & they WILL honour that quote & reduce your renewal quote to match the new business quote.

I learned this the hard way
    an awful lot of Bullsheeters in AXA who will try fob ya off at any oppourtunity.

let me know how ya get on.
    dave

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When I renewed with AXA this year I got them to drop the premium by another €50 by pointing out that they hadn't really given me any credit for my NCB. And then I told them about my two penalty points which had no effect.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

opeldave wrote:
    Well they will try & fob you off by saying the PC is broke or something similar.

:eek: That is exactly what happened!!
    He rang back and said "the system was doing calculations incorrect your premium is now €1380, sorry"

So I think I'll try to get a quote sent out again - or drop into an office and get one there?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mik_da_man wrote:
    I'm with AXA for my car insurance and it's up for renewal shortly.
    I claimed for a windscreen during the year which cost €613
    I have full glass cover so I shouldn't have to pay anything for it.

I got my renewal in the post and it was a fair bit more than I was expecting
    €1450 :eek:

I thought I was after being charged for my windscreen So i decided to ring up and get a new quote.
    I gave all the same details (apart from insurance co) and got a quote of €843 - €607 euro cheaper:eek:
    Pretty close to the cost of my windscreen:cool:

I got a reference number all right but when I asked for a further discount because my Mother is with AXA the guy on the fone said "something strange has happened to the numbers I will call you back"

I'm afraid he will come back with the higher quote - but what should I do?

Did you ring any other insurance company to see how competitive they are?

Get a few quotes from the likes of Hibernian, FBD, Eagle Star, etc. You would be surprised the difference in prices when you shop around. Then go back and tell them that you got it cheaper somewhere else, see if they can match it. Let them earn your business. If they don't then tell them good bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

What a bunch of robbing bástards insurance companies are. And their profits are up (yet again) 26% this year...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054992961

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

bazz26 wrote:

Get a few quotes from the likes of Hibernian, FBD, Eagle Star, etc. You would be surprised the difference in prices when you shop around. Then go back and tell them that you got it cheaper somewhere else, see if they can match it. Let them earn your business. If they don't then tell them good bye.

Forget matching it, let them beat it or else say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

One direct increased my premium this year, telling me they had given me a "discressionary discount" last year. Asked them was that their best price,told it was, got a far cheaper quote from AXA and renewed with them, one direct rang me 2 days before renewal, and could suddenly match AXA's rate...told them no way.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:

yep Rang FBD and got a Quote of €930
    But €843 would have been seet :p

I'm going to go into an AXA office tomorrow and see what happens
    Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ryaner77

Pm me your details and i'll sort it out for you now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ryaner77 wrote:
    Pm me your details and i'll sort it out for you now !

can you sort me out with insurance.:D Please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Car insurance in the UK is starting to go up, I wonder will it be long before we start paying more money.
    Slightly off topic but ESB & Bord gais make huge profits & are constantly approving price increases, we all keep complaining about car insurance prices yet no one mentioned the above, wonder how many of these people live at home & have mammy & daddy paying the elec & gas bills :rolleyes: ..............

Sorry dre i'm in claims !! But i know why the op figures were a bit messed up. If he ever replies i'll help him sort it.

If you have a crash let me know .

Sorry for going off topic but does everyone really really hate insurance companies ?

has anyone ever been greatful for their service ?

any good stories about insurance companies out there ?

Hey I PM'd you:cool:
    Cheers

i have someone looking at it now , should have a reply soon !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

My renewal quote (automated letter thingy from Quinn Direct) was something like 900 quid more expensive than the online quote. Just gave them the quote number I got online and they insured me at that price.

If AXA are messing you around just cancel your policy and go with Quinn. You probably wont find cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ryaner77 wrote:

I've only had to claim once, a guy insured with hibernian rear ended me on the friday of a bank holiday weekend. They called me at lunchtime on tuesday, said they were accepting full liability, my car went in for repairs the following morning and was sorted within the week. My only gripe was that the rental car they gave me was a zafira, which for some reason they seem to consider an upgrade from a 'D' segment saloon which they were all out of.

Just had a friend of mine looking at your policy , for the same policy you had last year (taking into account the change in engine size & value of your new car !!! ) it would be €950. thats taking into account your parents discount and full licence, If you can get it for €843 good luck ! it'd be worth a €107 just to drop in for a chat !

Mines a bulmers !

• Advertisement

hey allias no 9 , did you get any compensation for the depreciation on your car ?

ryaner77 wrote:
    Just had a friend of mine looking at your policy , for the same policy you had last year (taking into account the change in engine size & value of your new car !!! ) it would be €950. thats taking into account your parents discount and full licence, If you can get it for €843 good luck ! it'd be worth a €107 just to drop in for a chat !

Mines a bulmers !

€950? Cheers - A good bit better than €1380.
    Any idea why I got rang back with the €1380 figure?
    And any chance of a ref number or something so I can get the quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

ryaner77 wrote:
    Sorry dre i'm in claims !! But i know why the op figures were a bit messed up. If he ever replies i'll help him sort it.

If you have a crash let me know .

Sorry for going off topic but does everyone really really hate insurance companies ?

I've found FBD to be excellent. I know someone in there so usually only deal with that person, but a few times I have dealt with other people about renewals/changing policy, changing cover to another car, etc. Never ever had a problem with them...

Quinn Direct are a nightmare to make a claim against. I had to make a claim against my own insurance a few years ago for fire. Took months to get the money out of them. As soon as I got it I left them and have not looked back since.

I know they are good for young drivers, but get away from them as fast as you can! Staff were abusive, can't say enough bad things about them really!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ryaner77 wrote:
    hey allias no 9 , did you get any compensation for the depreciation on your car ?

No, they said it beyond the age (it was 7 years old at the time) at which they would pay for depreciation. I didn't exactly loose out though, I bought it for €2,800, drove it for about 18 months covering ~35k miles and sold it for €2,300, probably could have held out for a little more 'cos it sold very quick and I'd had quite a few calls, but when cash is waved in your face v's the possibility of geting another €100 or €200 but possibly not selling it for another month or two, I'll always take the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I renewed lately with Tesco Car Insurance (50 euro off if you do it on the web)

Way cheaper than anything else for me

Tesco was 1165 and I had to complete Ignition course.:eek:
    FBD came in @ 840 when I rang again.
    I was a named driver with them.

Unless my trip to the AXA broker can match that FBD it will be.

Cheers to all - espically ryaner77 for all the advice/help

Mik

ryaner77 wrote:

Mines a bulmers !

I rang AXA back and got them down to €880:D
    But FBD are a shade better @ €840 and AXA will not match it.
    The FBD Policy is better too

FBD have 1 new customer, but in fairness I would have stayed with AXA if they sent me out the correct renewal quote

Advertisement