Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU approves Bulgaria and Romania

Options
  • 26-09-2006 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Hi
    just read this on the news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5380024.stm

just thinking what the opinion is here in general

I believe it is good provided that we get skilled labour and not criminals and gangsters

I hope it will be good for Ireland and Eu in a broarder sense

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I hope it will be good for Ireland and Eu in a broarder sense

And Bulgaria and Romania of course -- but apparantly that goes without saying! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't see a problem with Bulgaria, Romania though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I think alot of people are pretty sceptical about Romania and Bulgaria joining the EU. I don't think it is a bad thing as long as it is handled properly and the appropriate immigration policy is put in place. For now we don't know what policy Ireland is going to adopt.

This topic is a discussed here in more detail: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054993085

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭greg678

I was in Bulgaria over the summer and to tell you the truth they are so far behind.......so much money will have to be pumped into the country just to get basic services up and running

And dont get me started on the crime there:rolleyes:

We were staying in a tourist resort, Sunny Beach, and basic things such as street lighting did not work, no drainage on the streets, no real presence of police.... and it is a tourist resort afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

rb_ie wrote:
    I don't see a problem with Bulgaria, Romania though...

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I think the EU is getting far too big , Russia will be next -- why not have a Western EU and Eastern EU , apparently thats what some of the Eastern European countrys want themselves -- economically has Romania or Latvia got a lot in common with Holland or Ireland -- also joining EU makes it more difficult for them to export .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

from AH. try not to ban anyone who has already posted from the AH forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aslantheslayer

I like others think the EU is getting too big. Its already become a two tier EU with some countries alowing workers from the new states to work, and other states not.

My only fear is the bigger and bigger it gets the more unworkable it will become.

And like any large group of countries such as empires and unions they all eventually collapse with many into war!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I say bring em on. Lets help make these beautiful countries more prosperous.

zccording to RTE News last night the Irish time did a poll on If we should give these two countries full working rights to work here. 80% said No.

Thats something to think about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

Every Brit or Irish with some money to spend and some brains to use should be more than happy that Romania and Bulgaria joined EU. They can now make great investments in these two countries and they can have the certitude that their properties will be protected under the European law.

What is the advantage for Romanians&Bulgarians? They will be able to work their arses in Dublin or Cork for €7.65/hour, they will enjoy the famous Irish weather and work weekends and Bank Holidays.

What will the poor Irish do while these vicious people will take their great jobs paid with the minimum wage? They will relax on the beaches of Mamaia or Albena, they will hike the Carpathians or they will go fishing in the Danube Delta... While having great beer with 30cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't see many coming here what with the work restictions likely to be imposed and that Bulgarians in particular seem to be much more intersted in Italy Greece and Spain as destinations. They might also reckon the Poles have got this market sewn up.

Unemployment is pretty low by recent starndards too at 8.74 percent in Bulgaria and a 14 year low in Romania of 5 percent.

As for enlargement I think this marks the end of it for a generation.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

As for enlargement I think this marks the end of it for a generation.
    I'd imagine Turkey isnt too happy about this. Personally Im glad enlargment will stop for a while, giving the new countries time to settle in and come up to western EU standards

Thousands of Romanians prepare to head for our shores Despite a critical EU Warning.
    The European Commission rubber-stamped Romania and Bulgaria’s EU admission yesterday despite a critical report.

It highlighted concerns over crime, corruption, criminal justice, food safety and whether EU cash will be properly spent.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440765,00.html

At the same time the Romanian Primeminister goes into denial
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=406885&in_page_id=1811

Britain prepares to shut the doors
    http://www.24dash.com/content/news/viewNews.php?navID=7&newsID=10894
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/24/nbulg24.xml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5373938.stm

And another British cock up
    http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=1410472006

Australia`s Tough new immigration laws
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5373074.stm

Information on Migration in the UK.
    http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/

Now whiles most of the above is relevant to the UK, its shows how quite our own government and media is on the matter.

Rightly or wrongly its about time our country either welcomed the 2 new states or said no thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Threads merged.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Merge fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

You guys remember the last expansion? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Unpossible wrote:
    Personally Im glad enlargment will stop for a while, giving the new countries time to settle in and come up to western EU standards

Yes I agree with you,
    I think its too soon since the last expansion, we should give time to properly allow the new countries time to bring up their economies before allowing more countries.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

qwertz wrote:
    You guys remember the last expansion? :)
    Your point, caller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

As Mike points out the econonmies of both Romania and Bulgearia are doing quite well, and unemployment is at 5.1% in Romania, similar to Irelands 4.4% and much lower than the European average.

In contrast Poland has unemployment of 15.7%, one of the highest, if not the highest in Europe, so you can see why they are experiencing high levels of emmigration to places like Ireland and the UK.

I'm not 100% sure why people are so worried about Romania then. It isn't another Poland, it isn't a country with high unemployment and a troubled economy. It is a country with low unemployment and a growing econonmy. It is just the type of country that could really use EU funds to invest in infrastructure, just as Ireland has been doing for the last 20 years.

This great worry seems more to do with stereotypes of people like the Romanina Gypsys, than based on sound economic or social reasoning. I would be surprised if we get a tenth the number of Romanians coming to Ireland as Polish (not that I have any problems with the Polish coming here to find work, we after all emmigrated to other countries for work when our unemployment was high)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Now whiles most of the above is relevant to the UK,

Yeah. Except for teh one about Australia.

What on earth does that have to do with the UK, the EU, Romania or Bulgaria?
    its shows how quite our own government and media is on the matter.
    Or, by the same reasonnig, it shows how quiet every other government and media in the EU are on the matter. Its almost as though the "PANIC!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIIIIIIVES!!!! THE ROMANIANS ARE COMING" mindset is in the minority.
    Rightly or wrongly its about time our country either welcomed the 2 new states or said no thankyou.

How do they say no thank you? Leaving the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Wicknight wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure why people are so worried about Romania then.

Its in Eastern Europe. They don't speak English there.

What more reason do you need?
    This great worry seems more to do with stereotypes of people like the Romanina Gypsys, than based on sound economic or social reasoning.

One can add smilies of various types to a post, to make up for the lack of such reasoning. If that fails, bold text, large fonts, and other point-proving techniques can also be employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

bonkey wrote:
    Its in Eastern Europe. They don't speak English there.

What more reason do you need?

Ah yes, I forgot.

We don't mind jonny foreigner coming over here, taking our jobs and raping our women, so long as he speaks english and comes from a country with "historical root" to Ireland.

But if he speaks a funny sounding language, well that is just not on I tell you! Did we lose a war or something! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wicknight wrote:
    We don't mind jonny foreigner coming over here, taking our jobs and raping our women, so long as he speaks english and comes from a country with "historical root" to Ireland.

Lets be fair, they are allowed if they can quote EU laws in English and insult you in English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Fast&Furious

Hobbes wrote:
    Lets be fair, they are allowed if they can quote EU laws in English and insult you in English.
    It's a pitty to forget where are you coming from? Which other nation in the world has more than a half of its population outside the borders? Is not that the same Ireland 20 - 30 -50 or more ears ago? Is not that the country which people were not allowed to get job in UK long ago just because they are Irish?

Sometimes the past gives us lessons, but if we are not able to learn they might be repeated in the future?

So eastern European might not be people with money, but they have good education and dignity as well!!! If they are not wanted in Ireland or UK they will find another door to go ahead and to realise their potential!!! But the ones who close the doors would never know what they missed!!!

Good luck!

Advertisement