Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirituality and Science. Mutually exclusive or inclusive?

Options
  • 26-09-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I thought this to be the more correct to post on than the paranormal board.
    I have always wondered why, when science produced a rational explanation for paranormal/religious/faith based events that this automatically erradicates the experience.

From my basic knowledge of science I know that every action has an equal and opposite reaction and that everything that occurs leaves a historical imprint on the physical nature of the world. ie when the wind blows, the leaves fall from the trees......I may be muddling laws of science here but that is not the issue.

When a spiritual event or a paranormal one occurs scientists and the logically minded try to fathom a physical/atmospheric reason to explain it and exclude any theories of the supernatural. My question is,

Do/Can Spiritual and paranormal events cause a physical reaction to the atmosphere of the area and therefore imply that there is no scientific explanation, merely a scientific effect or reaction.

If I think to myself I like the colour red, I am sure my biology creates certain hormones/stimulants and sends them rushing around my brain to allow this thought to occur. In this way I am thinking in a mental capacity and my body is functioning in a physiologic/neurologic capacity. Similarly can it be said that energetic happenings and paranormal phenomenon can be validated rather than refused with a coincidental scientific evaluation of the event?

There is a duality I find with this subject. Paranormal investigators used scientific methods to determine unusual occurences which I applaud as this is truly using an open mind. But at the same time I find another school of thought that explains feelings and instinct as misinterpretations of science.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

If I think to myself I like the colour red, I am sure my biology creates certain hormones/stimulants and sends them rushing around my brain to allow this thought to occur. In this way I am thinking in a mental capacity and my body is functioning in a physiologic/neurologic capacity. Similarly can it be said that energetic happenings and paranormal phenomenon can be validated rather than refused with a coincidental scientific evaluation of the event?
    There is a duality I find with this subject.

well that's a problem then, beacuse dualism just doesn't work :) you and all your experiences are just part of what the brain is doing, your 'self' doesn't just appear out of nowhere and live in the human body, scientology-style. Once you realise this, you'll see there is no need to invent souls, spirits or demons to explain all the strange things that happen on our world.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

ANy further thoughts or just that it doesn't work? :)
    I agree that it is a possibility (one that I don't believe but can accept it's plausibility) but would like further clarification.
    How do you explain the theories or actualities of incidents of ghosts/spirits etc if it just isn't the case or impossible in reality. Why would we have such a capacity of imagination if our brains fundamentally control our actions and thoguhts. What is the purpose or reasoning?

p.s. I should mention I'm a deep believer in a greater awareness than the physical but welcome any thoughts to the contrary. :)

Advertisement