Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending copy driving license or passport, advice please?

Options
  • 26-09-2006 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just purchased two mobile phones from an online website, they have a .ie & .com domain and are based in the UK. They also have an address in Clontarf.

Now I got two emails from them saying order is processed, grand. Now they send me an email about 30 mins later;

Hi there,

We have received your order but would require identification to process this for you. This is because we have a security system set in place to make sure that the card details relate to the address details on each order we receive and on this occasion a low security score has appeared on your payment. In this instance could you please send us a copy of your driving license or passport, so that we can make sure that you are resident at your home address details. This is to prevent fraudulant transactions.

Please could you send your identification to fax number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or via email to gemma.parkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
    Gemma Parkinson.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Tel: xxxxxxxxxxx
    Email: xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com
    Visit our website: www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

Does it sound ok ? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hmm sounds a bit odd for a company based in Ireland needing verification, I know some companies in the UK use this method often.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

I got something similar when I ordered my digital camera from Pixmania.

I got on to their customer support to ask if this was a genuine requirement and received no reply.

I got my items from them, albeit 3 weeks late.

Get on to them and ask them if it is a genuine request. If you want to send them a copy of your drivers licence then scan it in and send this as an attachment.

I wouldn't though, tbh.

Payment processing is a simple yes/no reply, so all I can think of for this is that your billing details that you supplied to the site are different to the address details that your credit card company has for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Pixmania does this also, if you order more then usual or to a new address or a bit of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Yes that could be it. I'm using a friends credit card and getting the phones delivered to my address.

So this would be normal for them to request this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

BreadBoard wrote:
    Yes that could be it. I'm using a friends credit card and getting the phones delivered to my address.

So this would be normal for them to request this information?

If you gave your your address as the billing address then they would need this information.

• Advertisement

The billing address is my friends. The delivery address is mine.

confused.gif

Update;

Ok I sent them an email;
    Hi Gemma,

Thanks for the email, I will get this information sent to you first thing tomorrow morning. After you have the required information how soon will you post the phones, I really need them by Friday.

They just rang me and said they will post the phones to my friends address after they receive the copy of his ID. I suppose it's something as I need the phones asap. They must be ok if they rang me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It's always a lot safer to ring them. At least then you are sure you are actually talking to someone in the company.

For them to ring you, well, all they need is your number and they can claim to be anyone.

True. But I have been emailing them for about a week now and have rang them to see what types of payment they took before I made the purchase. Also a friend has bought a mobile from them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SmoothyG

i think they want the identification to prove the card isnt stolen, posting to an address that isnt the billing address has all the signs of a stolen card, its not really an accusation , mostly to delay the action to see if the card is reported.
    If you are worried about the comapny ask them who are thier regulatory bodies, then check the websites, alternatively ask for a street address and check it out with directory enquires or the local council to that area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement