Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harris Hawk sighted ?

• 26-09-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Twice quite recently in the environs of Phoenix Park I have spotted what I now believe to be a Harris Hawk.

The first time it was carrying prey and landed on the top of a telegraph pole just when you turn left off Conyngham Rd and head for North Circular. I was in a car at the time and got out to look. At the time I didn't know what it was but reckoned it was a large hawk not native to the country and the fact that it was feeding led me to believe it was living wild.

However the second time I saw it was as I was parking my bike at Heuston Station and it flew directly above me. Dark feathers all round, broad wings and a very distinctive white band at the base of it's tail. It had those leather things dangling from it's legs which led me to think maybe it was owned by a falconer and was just out and about on an exercise run/flight.

Has anyone else seen this bird and do they believe it is living wild or is there a perfectly reasonable explanation.
    I'm pretty sure it's a Harris Hawk which is native to Central and South America.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are a common enough escapee. I don't live in Dublin, but I have heard of them in the Phoenix Park from time to time. (I think Mooney goes Wild did a piece on it in the past). They are spotted around the country from time to time and usually cause a bit of a stir for a while.

Advertisement