Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on 98 Polo

Options
  • 26-09-2006 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Just had a look at a 98 1 ltr Polo and I've a few problems with it
    that I neeed advice on.

On the inside of the oil filler cap there was a little of the white substance that is often a sign of head gasket problems.
    Is this always a sign of issues with the engine or is it a common enough occurance?
    When the owner left with the car there was a bit of a rattle from the exhaust. I noticed this once during the fairly long test drive but it seemed to be happening alot when this eejit was driving.
    Could it be another sign of the engine being a mess or maybe just retarded gear changing?

In the boot I looked under the carpet.
    I couldn't see the manufacturers sticker anywhere obvious. There also seemed to be a brown rectangular patch of a filler like substance to the left of the spare wheel location.
    To the back of the boot (near the bumper), there was also a similar substance running all along the corner of the boot.

Do you think this could be a sign of the Polo having taken a hit up the a*se?

I haven't seen any other Polo's so I can't really compare, although I have seen a number of Seat Ibiza's and Arosa's.

Alot of questions but I'd hugely apreciate any help on any of the parts of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The white stuff could just be emulsion from condensation in an engine that has been used mainly for short runs. The exhaust rattle might actually be the top end of the engine, though. The stuff that looks like filler may be factory sealant (brownish & waxy), or it may be filler from an accident. In summary, the only way you're going to be sure is to have someone you trust have a look at the car. Drive a few more Polos too, that should give you a better idea of what's normal for the car.

Advertisement