Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warning Triangles

Options
  • 26-09-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

OK, something I've noticed increasingly on the M1 is cars and trucks using warning triangles when they have stopped on the hard shoulder. Now as far as I'm aware these triangles are for advanced warning and should be placed at a distance from the rear of the vehicle (perhaps a 100+ yards?). Obviously if people had brains they'd be dangerous but why do dickheads insist on placing these triangles within spitting distance of the car?

As well as that, is there any real need for these triangles on Motorways as a hard shoulder is provided and there are usually no sharp curves that would block the normal line of sight between the parked car and appoaching vehicles? The benefits on A, B and unclassified roads are obvious, but the motorway it would seem much less so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In Germany, where carrying and, more importantly, actually using a warning triangle is the law, the ADAC (German automobile club) advise a distance of approx. 200m. Sticking them a few feet from the car is utterly pointless.

I disagree that they're not useful on motorways. When traffic is heavy, a car suddenly needing itself to use the hard shoulder may not have that good a view of the hard shoulder himself. Witness the large number of accidents in countries with much higher motorway densities as ourselves, where cars broken down on the hard shoulder are ploughed into by other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I take your point Alun about motorways but was thinking that wouldn't hazard lights be equally or more useful to this effect, especially at a range of 200m? One other thing is (and because I don't know how much these triangles weigh or how they are held upright) isn't there a risk of them being blown over by the wash of motorway traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Well, considering the (ab-)use of hazard warning lights these days, I'm not sure that most people pay much attention to them, but I'd say that they're more of an addition to the warning triangke than an either/or myself.

As for the triangles themselves, it depends ... some are pretty sturdily built with reasonably heavy metal bases, others are no better than toys. You get what you pay for. You can always use a stone or something to weigh them down if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The compulsory ones that come in trucks and buses are quite heavy and certainly wouldn't be blown over. there supposed to be at a "sufficient" distance to warn other road users. In Dublin Bus, this seems to be 1 foot from the rear bumper. :rolleyes:
    el tel wrote:
    is there any real need for these triangles on Motorways
    It's a mandatory requirement for heavy vehicles.

It also lets others know that you've actually broken down and can't move the vehicle (especially useful if blocking traffic).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Think of all the police camera clips shown on TV where a cop talking to someone pulled over almost gets creamed! The HS is not a safe place.
    If you need to stop on the HS then the advice is to get out of the car and up on the bank with your car between you and traffic. If you need to put up a warning triangle then approach the position via the bank rather than strolling down the HS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The motorway hard shoulder seems to have become the "diving in to take a phone call lane" these days, so I would put one down.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hmmm wrote:
    The motorway hard shoulder seems to have become the "diving in to take a phone call lane" these days, so I would put one down.
    ...and the "I'm more important that these muppets queueing and I have better things to do" lane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Warning Triangles SHOULD be used on hard shoulders AND be placed c.200m from the vehicle in question.

I too have often seen triangles placed within a few feet of a car/bus/truck, which is totally pointless.....and defeats it's purpose. It's down to lack of driver education and/or pure stupidity!

I often liken it to people driving in rain (daytime) without their dipped headlights switched on!

Hazard lights alone are not enough for brokendown vehicles on hard shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I thought I heard of 45 metres (why not 50m I don't know). Would 200m not be a bit far for the triangle to be relevant to the stationary vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BrianD wrote:
    I thought I heard of 45 metres (why not 50m I don't know). Would 200m not be a bit far for the triangle to be relevant to the stationary vehicle?
    At 120km/h, 200m = 6 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yet again today I saw two cars on the motorway hard shoulder (N7) with warning triangles about 5 feet away from their cars! :eek:

BrianD wrote:
    I thought I heard of 45 metres (why not 50m I don't know)
    Probably a rough conversion from 50 yards (like GAA pitch markings). 45 metres is the rule for the UK. I'm not sure if we have a recommended distance here.

On the matter of breakdowns, it was always common knowledge that one does not remain in a vehicle broken down on the hard shoulder of a motorway, but instead move onto the grass bank well away from the carriageway. However, on the part of the M50 under reconstruction, signs are advising motorists, that, in the event of a breakdown, they must remain in the vehicle. A bit of a contradiction? Perhaps it is because of the 60kph speed limit?

Is there a tow-away service in operation? It might be easier to tow if the passengers are with the car.

Victor wrote:
    Is there a tow-away service in operation? It might be easier to tow if the passengers are with the car.
    Yes, I think there is a dedicated one for the roadworks section. The Gardai will arrange a tow truck for any vehicle which they believe to be a danger on a motorway regardless of roadworks or not. They usually give the stranded motorist a little time to make their own arrangements if they wish but then they call a contracted recovery company. (eg Gannon's).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The compulsory ones that come in trucks and buses are quite heavy and certainly wouldn't be blown over. there supposed to be at a "sufficient" distance to warn other road users. In Dublin Bus, this seems to be 1 foot from the rear bumper. :rolleyes:.

In the old days (as I used tell Auld Mr Brennan) they used use 2 seats upended instead of triangles for buses... Sort of /\

Yes, I think there is a dedicated one for the roadworks section. The Gardai will arrange a tow truck for any vehicle which they believe to be a danger on a motorway regardless of roadworks or not. They usually give the stranded motorist a little time to make their own arrangements if they wish but then they call a contracted recovery company. (eg Gannon's).
    No, I mean a dedicated service like they had on the Port Tunnel works with the towtruck already there on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

A bit off the toppic, but in canada ( ontario anyway ) it's seen as best practice to open your bonnet if you break down / stop by the side of the road, even just when changing a tyre. As people can see this from a distance and know there is a stopped/broken down car ahead.

Advertisement