Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tradesmen stand off!! who to believe??

Options
  • 26-09-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

lads and lassies any of ye that have built a house recetly might be able to help me out here. or even any of ye that are in the trade.

we have the house roofed at this stage (Concrete Tiles) and the facia and soffit is up.

the plasterer is onsite plastering away happy as Larry. I was asking him about plastering the small bit between the top of the Facia Board and the bottom of the tiles. (I am talking here along the pitch of the roof at the gables. front of dormers etc)

he looked at me as if I had two heads and said that that is the roofers Job.

Sound says I and goes off and rings up the roofer to enquire as to when he is coming back to do it as I want to be ready to get the scaffolding down asap. He nearly falls off the roof he is working on with the fit of laughter. he says that that is the plasteres Job.

thats grand says I and back to the plaster I go with my tale. again he says no that the roofer must do it. he says that in nearly 20 years of plastering he has never done it or seen a plaster do it.

Which one of them is telling the lies?

At this stage I hope between them they are winding me up and someone will just do it (but I fear this is not the case and there will be a row!!!!)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cushtie, since we have slate we don't have the concrete edging you are talking about but on my brothers house we had to do that as neither plasterer or roofer did it.

Now for the dormers, do you mean the front of the dormer around the window of the dormer, in other words over the expanding metail which is nailed to the dormer??
    In this my plasterer did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I took it he meant the same area as the gable. Above the barge board at the side of the tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Is this the bit you mean?

dsc00308jr8.jpg

If so then the roofer did it on my house! (Very badly)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Any sites that I have been on the roofer has done it. After all it is part of the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thats the spot alright Do-more.thanks for attaching the pic.

I would have thought alright that the roofer would have done it. the same fella is doing a roof for a friend of mine so I gave him a ring to suss it out. (worst of all is that he is a family member and is doing me a favour so I cannot exactly bollick him out of it!!!:o )

I knew things were starting to go too smoothly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A bit of pointing required and your roofer needs pointing in the right direction too

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Yep, your roofer needs a good slap. Either that or he misunderstood you. Print off the picture and talk to him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

We have the same problem on a selfbuild, checked old house and it has a cement tile and they are clearly sealed at side with mortar. New house has tegral slates, just spoke to roofer and he tells me that it should be sealed by the fascia/soffet guy, using black silicone to match pvc and slates. He is to get back to me later as he still has to put ridge slates on (won't be today with another tail of a hurricane on the way). One of the joys of a self build, a builder would just get someone to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think that you can get a plastic cloaked verge for these that fits on the edger and does away for the need for Plaster at this point.
    Plaster can crack and fall away as well.

CJhaughey wrote:
    I think that you can get a plastic cloaked verge for these that fits on the edger and does away for the need for Plaster at this point.
    Plaster can crack and fall away as well.

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about.

I'd say it would be alot handier for the roofer to do rather than pointing it.

I will check it out with him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The ones I saw were black and fitted right over the edge and down about 4".
    I think they would be far better than the masonry especially looking at the current weather.
    Your tiles look like Stonewold/Mini Stonewold, I had a quick browse of the Lafarge site but it is crap and doesn't work.

the tiles I have are just the bog standard roadstone concrete tile. (nothing like what was in the picture I linked to.)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Cushtie, I empathise big time. We moved into our house end of July after 14 months of dealer with feckers like those! Self build is cost effective but head wrecking!! Sometimes, after situations where one was passing book/blaming other I felt like shouting at the top of my voice just "f... off some of yiz be proffessional enough to own up who's job it and do the fecking thing!" Did I? Of course not because tradesmen would walk off and leave the site and also can be worse than a group of ould wans (no disrespect meant to either!) for "bitchiness" and "pass the book mentality". Often times it took my keen negotiation skills and feminine charm to "gently persuade" one or the other to do jobs such as this...which didn't arise in our job as we have used clay tiles and they have a verge tile coming down. More headwrecking times ahead of you but are doing the right thing on being reasonably diplomatic...we had a family member on site too...just be firm and persuasive....I think by bollicking anyone out these days you just get the threat of leaving your site and moving on...in other words the "good luck and f... ya mentality" that most of the building trades have, sad to say these days! I did try being hard on some guys in the beginning and that's the mentality I got. Then I just used charm, pig headedness (rang them so many times they got fed up hear me ask about it and did it anyway) and all my negotiation skills to solve such problems and the house finished...well almost the outside is till to be tackled! Best of luck. Don't be afraid to come back and ask questions...we've all been there! Keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

Just heard back from my pvc fascia guy and he has confirmed that he will be sealing the gap between top of fascia and bottom of slates with black silicone, and has already done some of it ! Hopefully thats that sorted. Hope you have some good news on your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The verge detail should be finished by the roofer, in fact the first line of tiles should be bedded in a sand / cement mix as they are being laid.

Any excess should be struck back and the finish coat applied the following day with dye in the mix to match the tiles.

Trying to poke in sand and cement with the tiles in place does not give them a chance to bond.

Advertisement