Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem tenants

Options
  • 26-09-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Last month, after numerous calls, finally got the rent 2 weeks late. Can't afford to be out of pocket as the property is buy to let. This month, already a few days late and now asking me to fill in social welfare forms, even though I know they are working. Wanted to do everything right and registered with prtb, but if I give them a months notice now, I'm worried they will clear out the place and their deposit will only cover months rent. Any suggestions anyone or does anyone know how long it takes to refer a dispute to the prtb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Last month, after numerous calls, finally got the rent 2 weeks late. Can't afford to be out of pocket as the property is buy to let. This month, already a few days late and now asking me to fill in social welfare forms, even though I know they are working. Wanted to do everything right and registered with prtb, but if I give them a months notice now, I'm worried they will clear out the place and their deposit will only cover months rent. Any suggestions anyone or does anyone know how long it takes to refer a dispute to the prtb.
    don't take any ****e from these....if they don't pay the rent on time, tell then you will contact the social welfare. The last thing they will want is their SW cut off and thats what will happen if yoy tell them they haven't paid over the money the SW has given them to pay you. You have signed a form stating you are renting to someone from the SW, so you obliged to inform them of any thing wrong on their behalf PLUS you are entitled to your rent. Fill in the forms, you don't know they are working. Get tough...I've had to in the last few days aswell....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭tracy1002

I worked for a company who let out a lot of properties - some welfare some not. In this situation what we have done before is only filled out the form on the condition that they change their method of payment of the social cheque ie they request that the cheque is paid directly to landlords bank account. That way you only have to chase them for the difference between the social cheque and the rent each month. It not easy I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stay at homer

Lex Luthor wrote:
    don't take any ****e from these....if they don't pay the rent on time, tell then you will contact the social welfare. The last thing they will want is their SW cut off and thats what will happen if yoy tell them they haven't paid over the money the SW has given them to pay you. You have signed a form stating you are renting to someone from the SW, so you obliged to inform them of any thing wrong on their behalf PLUS you are entitled to your rent. Fill in the forms, you don't know they are working. Get tough...I've had to in the last few days aswell....:mad:
    Think you're right - I've been too nice to this lot and they are taking advantage!

tracy1002 wrote:
    I worked for a company who let out a lot of properties - some welfare some not. In this situation what we have done before is only filled out the form on the condition that they change their method of payment of the social cheque ie they request that the cheque is paid directly to landlords bank account. That way you only have to chase them for the difference between the social cheque and the rent each month. It not easy I know!!
    Thanks, I suppose this way I would be guaranteed SOME money each month.

tracy1002 wrote:
    Tracy, I don't think they do this any more. The cheque now goes directly to the SW recipient and it is up to them to pay the landlord out of it. However, the SW are not too impressed getting calls from landlords that haven't been paid their rent from money they paid to the tenant. They will deal with it very swiftly.

Homer, do you have a standing order for your rent? I would insist on it.

• Advertisement

I don't have a standing order. Asked our bank about this and they told me to give the tenants our bank details and tell them to lodge the money in any bank. We did this and ... surprise surprise... they didn't lodge the money. My hubbie really p***ed off at this stage. They said they would ring today and didn't. He's going to call up to them tonight and give them a weeks notice. Going to tell them he'll report them to social welfare if they are not out. Have to put this down as a learning experience.

I don't have a standing order. Asked our bank about this and they told me to give the tenants our bank details and tell them to lodge the money in any bank. We did this and ... surprise surprise... they didn't lodge the money. My hubbie really p***ed off at this stage. They said they would ring today and didn't. He's going to call up to them tonight and give them a weeks notice. Going to tell them he'll report them to social welfare if they are not out. Have to put this down as a learning experience.
    Can't see why the bank would not suggest a standing order...:confused:

At least that way you have a transaction record on your account, regardless of whether the money bounces or not. I think 2 failed standing orders also cancels the standing order which has happened to me. Are you out of pocket by many weeks from them not paying? Hopefully you have a security deposit that will pay for any missed rent.

Got deposit alright. Be a little out of pocket, but prepared to cut losses at this stage.

Advertisement