Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer for centre ceiling lights?

Options
  • 26-09-2006 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

I know you can buy timers to switch lamps and radios on and off - ones that plug into wall sockets.

But is there such a thing as a timer that works on a ceiling light, without rewiring?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

u could replace the lightswitch with a single zone time clock

eg
    http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Myson_Programmers.html

However unless there is a return available at the switch this idea will not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Far beyond my technical capabilities. There isn't something that goes between the bulb and the flex?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You could use a bub holder fitting with integrated photocell which will come on automatically when light levels drop (evening/nightime) and switch off as light level improves (morning). Limited adjustment to sensitivity possible.

used witha low energy lamp is a very cost effective and efficient way of lighting a room with no need for switching.

Where would I get such a thing, and what would I be asking for, please, Sunflower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm almost sure that either aldi or lidl (can't remember which) had something advertised (it could even be for this week) that you put into the bulb holder. They were selling it along with other security type stuff. It's no longer on either of their websites, so it must have been last week, but sometimes they have stuff left if you go into the shop and it hasn't all sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You could use a bub holder fitting with integrated photocell which will come on automatically when light levels drop (evening/nightime) and switch off as light level improves (morning). Limited adjustment to sensitivity possible.

used witha low energy lamp is a very cost effective and efficient way of lighting a room with no need for switching.
    Would the light until morning?? Also it would be on if room is unoccupied.
    Unless of course it could be disabled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I've seen these in B&Q, it is just a small fitting that goes between the bayonet and light bulb. As suggested, if this was fitted with a CFL bulb and adjusted to come on at dusk and off at daybreak it would be a cheap way to have a permanent nightlight. Especially if you used really low watt cfl's.

Thanks, this sounds ok for the moment; if anyone discovers an actual timer, though, please PM me and post here as well.

I think this might suit your needs....

Scroll down to the second last item on the page, it's a wall switch that doubles as a timer. So instead of having a timer built into the ceiling light, it's on the wall switch. Easy wiring too.

The wall switch is an excellent idea; I'd have to get an electrician to install it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got one or 2 of those light sensitive things and to be honest they are not great. They are ugly and the bulb protrudes more out of the lamp shade at least 5-6" more than it would normally.

They also sit inside the lamp shade so they switch on earlier than needed as the light is lower in the shade and then switch off later in the morning even when it brightens up.

I'm sure Honeywell would have what you are looking for.

luckat wrote:
    The wall switch is an excellent idea; I'd have to get an electrician to install it though.

It isn't too difficult to install it yourself. Usually just a 2 or 3 wire hook up.

I'm not one to mess with electricity; there's been a socket hanging off the wall in the kitchen for about nine months now waiting for an electrician to walk 100 yards up the road and mend it. Meanwhile I plug in the kettle very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Advertisement