Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cuidiú uaim

• 26-09-2006 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Bhí mé ag caint le seanfhear i nGaillimh tráthnóna inné agus thosaigh sé ag labhairt faoi an troscán sa bheár agus cé gur thuig mé go raibh ‘beeswax’ i gceist aige níl fhios agam cad é ‘beeswax’ as Ghaeilge. Bhfuil fhios ag éinne anseo?

Agus ceist eile i mo cheann anois- I know of three expressions for ‘I am looking for a room’, ‘taim ag cuartú seomra’, nó ‘tá seomra ar cíos de dhíth orm’, agus ‘táim ag iarraidh lóistín’. Am wondering which one of these would be the more colloquial and common in the Galway Irish or is there any difference? And I’m unsure as to what ‘lóistín’ means. Is it used in general for room to rent in a new house say, or would it apply more to digs in a family home or BnB type accommodation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Céireach beach, nach ea?

Lóistín = lodgings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

luckat wrote:
    Céireach beach, nach ea?

Céir beach

'Céarach' sa ghinideach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Go raibh maith agaibh. Is it possible that it could be céir bheach or céir bheiche then- wouldn't there be the genitive case if it's bee's wax?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

pog it wrote:
    Go raibh maith agaibh. Is it possible that it could be céir bheach or céir bheiche then- wouldn't there be the genitive case if it's bee's wax?

:confused:

Yes you're right. Foclóir Uí Dhónaill gives it as céir bheach

Advertisement