Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in a bit of a rut

• 26-09-2006 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey all,

well it comes to the time once again where im kinda stuck for music at the mo..
    i go through phazes of liking certain music and at the moment im a bit sick of heavy **** that i used to be into before and i find myself only listening to bands like deftones, tool, opeth, light testament songs (return to serenity, the legacy etc..).. basically stuff that i can just sit back to and go "wow this music is amazing"
    so is there any other bands that i should listen to along those lines? ye know what im looking for like..

thankin ya :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Nevermore, Amon Amarth, At The Gates, Kreator, Katatonia, Enslaved, the Haunted, Iced Earth, In Flames, Kataklysm, King Crimson, Malevolent Creation, Mastatdon, Mayhem, Morbid Angel, Nasum, Neurosis, Nile, Rotting Christ, SOD, Sacramentum, Therion

Just a few of the bands that make my day(s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Try a band called Mindfunk if you can find any of their stuff. The second album called Dropped is a perfect mix of chilled out groove and heaviness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Den_M wrote:
    Nevermore, Amon Amarth, At The Gates, Kreator, Katatonia, Enslaved, the Haunted, Iced Earth, In Flames, Kataklysm, King Crimson, Malevolent Creation, Mastatdon, Mayhem, Morbid Angel, Nasum, Neurosis, Nile, Rotting Christ, SOD, Sacramentum, Therion

Just a few of the bands that make my day(s)
    alot of those bands are either death metal, battle metal.. basically the crap im trying to not listen to at the moment.. btw who are you? anyone i'd know?.. us being from tralee n all

doc.. hmm i might go search them now they sound cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Heres just a list of all the stuff I listen to, all good stuff;

Anathema, Anthrax, A Perfect Circle, A Silver Mt. Zion, Axamenta, Ayreon, The Black Mages, Circus Maximus, Demons & Wizards, DragonForce, Dream Theater, Evergrey, The Flower Kings, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Liquid Tension Experiment, The Mars Volta, Megadeth, Meshuggah, Metallica, Nevermore, Nightwish, Oceansize, Opeth, OSI, Pain Of Salvation, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Rush, Sonata Arctica, Strapping Young Lad, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Therion, Threshold, Tool, Transatlantic, Wintersun.

i dont think yere getting what im trying to say.. i want bands that are like the bands i listed above.. im not really too pushed to listen to all of metal/whatever coz ive heard it.. at the mo im just into the bands above..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I second mp3guy's Silver Mt. Zion and Godspeed recommendations. They are certainly nothing like what you listen to but definitely are in the "****, what the **** just happened? Is everyone all right? Did you hear that? ****! I need a cigarette!" category

Steoob wrote:
    alot of those bands are either death metal, battle metal.. basically the crap im trying to not listen to at the moment.. btw who are you? anyone i'd know?.. us being from tralee n all

doc.. hmm i might go search them now they sound cool

Think I saw your band play in the area outside Pizza Time last year during the pan-celtic thing, I'm studying in the IT in Tralee. I go to all the decent gigs in Tralee etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Cult of Luna .... enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Steoob wrote:
    hey all,

well it comes to the time once again where im kinda stuck for music at the mo..
    i go through phazes of liking certain music and at the moment im a bit sick of heavy **** that i used to be into before and i find myself only listening to bands like deftones, tool, opeth, light testament songs (return to serenity, the legacy etc..).. basically stuff that i can just sit back to and go "wow this music is amazing"
    so is there any other bands that i should listen to along those lines? ye know what im looking for like..

thankin ya :)

I know what you mean, sometimes you just need a break, so variety is good.

For some lighter Metal stuff, I'd definetly say you should check out Evergrey:

Every Tear
    A Touch Of Blessing

Green Carnation are also a band well worth checking out if you're after a good rock band, as are Porcupine Tree. Of course, then we're going into the whole Prog Rock thing, so why not check out some classic bands from back in the day like Camel and Yes? I'm sure Rush are worth checking out too. ;)

I trust you've already listened to A Perfect Circle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Steoob wrote:
    basically stuff that i can just sit back to and go "wow this music is amazing"

Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Post-Rock, not metal, but pretty much exactly what makes you say "Wow, this music is amazing"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Check out Red Sparowes, ISIS, Pelican and Neurosis. Also try Sigur Ros and Mogwai, they're not heavy but they're both amazing. If you want to get away from metal altogether check out The Dresden Dolls, they're just piano, drums and vocals and they sound so ****ed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

has anyone mentioned iced earth, theyre metal, but theres a difference there

has anyone mentioned iced earth

Yep i did earlier.

Katatonia's more recent stuff isn't that heavy and is really melody driven with clean vocals, maybe check them out if you haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

65daysofstatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Also, (and this is a long shot cos if you don't have it you should throw yourself into the Atlantic ;) ) have a listen to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, there's something for everyone on that album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Maudlin of the Well are good. Gordian Knot as well. And if you lie supremely chilled, get Sigur Ros. Mogwai may be a good choice. Kekal are a brilliant band too, but they may be difficult to find. Their last two albums are incredible, although they have black metal segments in some fo their songs that you may find too abrasive. John Petrucci's solo album Suspended Animation is just easy to listen to, and if you can find anything by Counter World Experience (a jazz/rock/metal fusion band) I would highly recommedn that. Plus all the old favourites (Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, Anglagard, as well as the all prog bands KH mentioned) should satiate any musical hunger.

Den_M wrote:
    Think I saw your band play in the area outside Pizza Time last year during the pan-celtic thing, I'm studying in the IT in Tralee. I go to all the decent gigs in Tralee etc.
    wasn't playing last year but i did play it tho.. cant remember...
    I trust you've already listened to A Perfect Circle?
    ya theyre alright theyre nothing on tool tho

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Primus, Kyuss, Sleep, Frank Zappa, Thin Lizzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Listen to Pelican. Listen to them now. Their album "The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw" is definitely one of the best albums made in the last ten years.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

mp3guy wrote:
    Wintersun.
    Listened to them on the way to work this morning. Great stuff I must say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I suppose I'll throw out a few bands under the posthxc/-core genre(s) to ya on the slim chance you might like one.

Between The Buried And Me (veer very far to the metal side, lots of scandinavian influences)
    Fall Of A Season (relatively unknown band from germany, I think.)
    Faust Again (some metal band from germany again. Apparently fairly death-influenced; not that I'd know)
    Norma Jean (pretty much just fuckin' hardcore.)
    Poison The Well (been 'round for years; metalcore with generous helpings of emo)
    Zao. Also been around for years. You'll surely find something to like amongst their older stuff. I don't know 'em well enough to know quite what album to recommend though.

Well, there ya go. Something different. See if you can enjoy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Agalloch man AGALLOCH, check out there new album i think its called ashes against the grain or somthing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Id go for Kyuss, as was mentioned before, and also by now Mark Lanegan Band. Very different than anything I have in my collection. L:istening to plenty of it now, mix of heavy stuff and piano tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

The band Yes changed my life.I had kinda drowned in black/grind/death/prog/thrash/tech metal.....

The album Relayer is great.As is 90215.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

h-street23 wrote:
    The band Yes changed my life.I had kinda drowned in black/grind/death/prog/thrash/tech metal.....

The album Relayer is great.As is 90215.

You say that as if black/grind/death/prog/thrash/tech metal was a bad thing?

Still though, Yes are fantastic, and Relayer is definetly one of their best. Close To The Edge is also great. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭h-street23

Between the Buried and Me are indeed excellent.

As are Zao.

How refreshing to see others with decent music taste- such a rare commodity in the metal scene.

Yes,Rush,King Crimson all the way tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I def recommend Kyuss, Melvins too. Stoner rock is a good genre to look into. Eh, how is APC not as good as Tool? Pff... 13th Step is waaaay better than 10,000 Days.

Anyways. If you listen to music on Media Player/ Win Amp, join Last.fm, there's a link to it as my sig. They'l recommend stuff based on your listenings and loads of bands to sample and similar artist tags etc. I've discovered so much new music on it.

Another good site is Pandora. Type in a band, and they'l churn out similar artists that you might have never heard of. So you get like a free radio statio too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Eh, how is APC not as good as Tool?
    They don't have as good of songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ok, so Emotive is a bit garbage, I'l admit it. But I think Mer de Noms and 13th Step are every bit as good as Tool's stuff and much superior to anything on 10,000 Days. Lateralus is prob one of best albums I've heard but APC still blow my mind. They are an excellent band. Only have a few songs I don't really like "The Nurse Who Loved Me" being one *shudder* i dunno if thats even the name, I deleted it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

you like Yes? what about Tormato? great stuff :D

as far as metal goes, i totally overdosed when i was a teen and dont think i'll ever go back again. if i hear another person growl into a mic thinking he is Satan incarnate i think i'll drop dead on the spot from the annoying repetition of it all.

Advertisement