Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour of the Sticky Threads/Charters.

Options
  • 26-09-2006 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd make a suggestion, a lot of people would seem to be posting with out using the Sticky's or reading the charter in most forums, particularly the music one, although I'm sure some people read them and just ignore them I think most of people just don't even notice them, I didn't notice the "whats the name of this song" sticky in the music forum untill weeks after it was put up, and when I first started using boards I didn't even know there was charters untill months after I first started posting and someone pointed it out to me. they just blend in with the other threads.

I think changing the colour of the text of the names of thease threads to red or black or green ect and making them all caps and bold would make a massive difference in peoples use of them. Maybe have them black normally and put new ones or ones where they have been updated to red for say two weeks to catch peoples attention. Well I think its a good idea, and I'll let ye's have that one free of charge.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good idea, even if we could make some of the sticky threads or charters in bold it wouldn't be any harm I don't think, if possible at all.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yup. This would get my support. Not sure if it's possible though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Good idea! Thumbs up from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sticky blindness is a disease that effects 7 out of 10 people who practise unsafe casual posting. It can lead to all manner of embarassing and debilitating conditions, like premature posting, posting in the wrong forum, and - at worst - banning.

But with a donation of only €5 a month, you can help boards.ie make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice idea if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Would the seperate them with a bar approach help?
    find:
    <if condition="$show['threads']">
    	<!-- show threads -->
    	<tbody id="threadbits_forum_$foruminfo[forumid]">
    	<if condition="$show['stickies']">
    	$threadbits_sticky

Add after:
    <tr><td class="thead" colspan="<if condition="(($show['threadicons'] AND $colspan = 6) OR (!$show['threadicons'] AND $colspan = 5)) AND ($show['inlinemod'] AND $colspan++)"></if>$colspan">&nbsp;</td></tr>
    	</if>

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't like the seperating with a bar approach personally. I think it makes it even easier to gloss right past the stickies. The background color change with rollover effect would be my favourite. Primarily because it gives people something to play with and people are more likely to look at the stickies while they're playing with them.

Is there an <shiny> tag in HTML? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ThunderDude

Sparky-s wrote:
    Would the seperate them with a bar approach help?
    find:
    <if condition="$show['threads']">
    	<!-- show threads -->
    	<tbody id="threadbits_forum_$foruminfo[forumid]">
    	<if condition="$show['stickies']">
    	$threadbits_sticky

Add after:
    <tr><td class="thead" colspan="<if condition="(($show['threadicons'] AND $colspan = 6) OR (!$show['threadicons'] AND $colspan = 5)) AND ($show['inlinemod'] AND $colspan++)"></if>$colspan">&nbsp;</td></tr>
    	</if>

I cant decide? is it Regi's ass or Clouds my tongue is in?

Keep licking so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ThunderDude

MI 3 has me so excited.

jumps off roof............ Sarky?....Save me with your beard! It can save us....all....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If it came down to saving some upstart cretin I've never heard of, or performing my own improvised neurosurgery, I'd immediately reach for the icepick. But thanks for thinking of me in your final moments.

OP, good idea. /me approves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Stark wrote:
    I don't like the seperating with a bar approach personally. I think it makes it even easier to gloss right past the stickies.
    I'd agree with this, if they are seperated by a bar, or by a colour, surely most users will just skip past the red/green/whatever colour or bar, to get to the threads they want to read.

Highlighting the background as they roll over it, should (theoretically anyway) work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Actually sounds like a good idea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sounds like a good idea all right.

And on a sidenote, ThunderDude really is.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I like this idea.

I cant decide? is it Regi's ass or Clouds my tongue is in?

Keep licking so!

That's the spirit.

Both their asses taste as good. *lick* *lick*

For anyone who has interest. There is a hack done that can add this function.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117445

I have tested it and it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

There might be a problem implementing this idea with the multi themic nature of boards.

Multi-themic. I like that word.

It's a plugin. It works with all themes. Takes less than 3 minutes to have working.
    If any problems occur, it can be disabled in 2 clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

amp wrote:
    There might be a problem implementing this idea with the multi themic nature of boards.
    The joy of CSS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I would have thought the skin thing would have caused a problem as whenever a new smilie is to be added it needs to be created with a bgcolor for each skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You just add a new link class to the CSS for each theme, so "stickyLink" or something. Then when the page is generated, vB just outputs <a class="stickyLink"...

Someone of course, would have to decide what colour would work best for each theme.

I propose the decision be made by committee!

Advertisement