Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstating old fireplace - toxic gases/dust?

Options
  • 26-09-2006 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey!

Need some advice on this folks...1940's house, just had the gas 'back' boiler removed from the sitting room, including the metal flue that ran all the way up the chimney. From what I can tell, the house was origionally designed with open fireplaces (ie the chimenys were origionally intended for open fires) and was converted to gas at some stage afterwards.

Does anyone know if there is anything apart from a basic chimney sweeping that needs to be done in order to prepare the chimney for functioning as an open fire again? My DIY book makes scary mention of there possibly being 'toxins' built up in the chimeny/fireplace if it has been used for a gas boiler/fire for an extended period of time....:eek:

There is a lot of very black looking soot up there from what I can see, but Im wondering if just sweeping is enough. Ive never heard of 'toxins' being there, and am wondering if anyone else has gone through the process without gassing themselves and their families (guess if they had they wouldnt be replying to my post tho eh?:rolleyes: )

all ideas/knowledge - even just hints on where the hell to get an answer would be most apreciated.

Advertisement