Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your worst purchase?

Options
  • 26-09-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

i remember about 3 yrs ago i bought a case that looked good at the time and when i brought it home to my horror the thing was so badly made , the sheet metal on it was super thin cutting my hands ,it was a nightmare to work with so gave up on it, its now in my old room gathering dust

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In 2004 I spend €700 on a 1Tb external LaCie Firewire drive.

It was slow, noisey and ran so hot I could have fried an egg on it.

A year later I replaced it with a 1Tb Buffalo NAS unit costing the same, which had inbuilt ethernet, USB, Firewire interfaces, can chain out to any other USB storage unit, web management capability, Raid 5, FTP server, ran whisper quiet and ultra cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Probably an arctic cooler for my gfx card that didn't quite fit into my motherboard... had to file about 5mm of aluminium off the bottom of the cooler. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

magick wrote:
    the sheet metal on it was super thin cutting my hands
    I remember one very cheap case I bought.

I was screwing some PCI card down when the screwdriver slipped and I basically caught the skin of the knuckle of index finger on my right hand against a razor sharp edge of the case.

There is nothing worse than seeing one of your own finger-joints exposed. I couldn't believe how very white my own knuckle bone looked.

Thankfully it was nothing a Bandaid and a good lie-down couldn't fix! But I damaged some nerve tissue which made certain parts of my finger totally numb - but it was all right as reign after a year.

A lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I've got a pretty bad case atm thats a left over from my first build. Its a noisy, thin aluminium case by QTec (who? exactly!) The only positive is that because there is nothing I like about it I can mod the hell out of it and I don't care, it cost me €40 new with a 350w PSU (POS) that I now use as a DC supply when testing breadboard circuits.

My worst buy would be this Saitek Gamers keyboard I got off ebay. Its got an extra "control pad" that i'm probably never going to convince myself to use, its wired (I hadn't realised how many uses i'd found for my previous wireless KB) it is LED backlit which sounded cool but for some reason gives me a headache when all the lights are off as it appears to flicker when i'm not starring directly at it.... and to top it all off... the keys are laid out in german (i bought it from germany) I thought I could live with it as I never really look at the keys when typing but i'd forgotten that I can never remember where some of the symbol keys are and now they are all messed up. The worst part, I probably won't be able to sell it on second hand :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

asetek watercooling kit, A condom which was pierced by a porcupine would of been better at holding water then asetek kit :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

L31mr0d wrote:
    My worst buy would be this Saitek Gamers keyboard I got off ebay.:(

Have that same keyboard and i like mine. The backlight dont give me a pain in the head and the keys are lead out as they should be. But have not found any use for the side board.

What im going to say now people might not like.
    I bought a raptor 36gig drive some time ago and i just think its a load of crap. Things do load quicker ever so slightly but not worth the money you pay for it. And to top it all i just think it makes far 2 much noise. Also if you Raid 2 sata drives it will be faster and also hold alot more info then your raptor. I used a benchmark tool to find out which set up was faster and the results showed that the raided drive was better over all.

Antec p180 case i bought. Nice case and nice build but the front door was not fitting properly. Googled and i found lots of other people had the same problem with there P180. Cause of this the p180 is still sitting in my bedroom gathering dust sometime i will get around to puting a computer into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

hmmm ... probably an asetek waterpump i got from komplett, set it up properly and turned it on and it leaked everywhere, the actual pump was broken inside.... what a piece of junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not actually ever really bought anything I wasn't happy with, but I did buy a case once to put a second pc together and had all my parts laid out on the floor. And somehow stood wth my full weight on the motherboard (with cpu attached) when I was shuffling around.

Was a tad angry. Case never got used and was eventually dumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

BadCharlie wrote:
    What im going to say now people might not like.
    I bought a raptor 36gig drive some time ago and i just think its a load of crap. Things do load quicker ever so slightly but not worth the money you pay for it. And to top it all i just think it makes far 2 much noise. Also if you Raid 2 sata drives it will be faster and also hold alot more info then your raptor. I used a benchmark tool to find out which set up was faster and the results showed that the raided drive was better over all.

This isn't much of a surprise since it's been well known for a long time that a decent 7200rpm drive stomps all over the old raptors.

Only the new ADFD raptors compete with a good 7200rpm drive, and they're not even that much better.

My current seagate 7200.10s peak at nearly 90MB/s read and seem to write at over 70MB/s. And they do that while being so quiet that I can't tell they're doing anything unless they're chugging seeking randomly all over the disk. There really just isn't any reason to be using an old raptor still.

There really just isn't any reason to be using an old raptor still.
    unless u get them cheap or you are going to raid a few raptors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

anti wrote:
    A condom which was pierced by a porcupine :/

That gave me a horrible picture in my head...

Oddly...only had good experiences with Asetec gear :)

Worst buy was Iiyama CRT monitor. Dodgy on delivery. Iiyama eventually collected it for repair....it then vanishes for six months. In the meantime I get a refund from supplier. Monitor returns.

Not buying from Iiyama again.

gline wrote:
    unless u get them cheap or you are going to raid a few raptors

But if they're not as good as a modern 7200rpm drive when they're full price how are they any better when they're cheap ?

No matter how cheap you get a non-ADFD raptor, it's still not going to be worth using.

Why would RAIDing them improve their usefulness either, when you could have just RAIDed 7200rpm drives ?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love an 740ADFD, but any older one is just a loud drive which does nothing to your system other than give it an e-peen factor for people who think they're faster than a normal drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A Zalman cpu cooler that didn't even fit the board due to it's clamp design. A logitech force feedback stering wheel where the FF just died after a few weeks.

I got a cheep case from Ebuyer that had to be pulled up at a corner to get the side panel on. A cheap power supply that couldn't power the PC (that was my fault though)

A cheep radio transmiter for an MP3 player that had crap sound.

This isn't much of a surprise since it's been well known for a long time that a decent 7200rpm drive stomps all over the old raptors.

Well if i had knowing that 2 years ago when i got my raptor i would not have bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

worst buy ever?

An opteron 180 for 600 euro 2 months ago ;)

BadCharlie wrote:
    Well if i had knowing that 2 years ago when i got my raptor i would not have bought it.
    Ah, but it wouldn't have been a bad idea back then. The old ones were faster than the 7200rpm drives of the day.

Just meant theres no point in using one these days if you're looking for the best in performance.

Psycopat wrote:
    An opteron 180 for 600 euro 2 months ago ;)

Ouch, I agree.

That one must smart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

a dell

/end

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

74 gig raptor :(

Noisy, and not a lot faster than my old Samsung spinpoint..

I could have got a 320gig Seagate Barracuda, and now im really low on disk space :(

I have learned from my mistakes :)

conzymaher wrote:
    74 gig raptor :(

Noisy, and not a lot faster than my old Samsung spinpoint..

I could have got a 320gig Seagate Barracuda, and now im really low on disk space :(

I have learned from my mistakes :)

I feel your pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ive a 37 gig raptor.

I didnt know about RAID at the time so it was great then. But now with RAID it
    seems pointless.

I love the size. Enough for an OS and few important games. It stops junk from
    building up on the machine. Ive another 250gig barra along side it for media
    storage. But I try to put everything onto DVDs. 4.7gig seems so little these days.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

So anyone wanna buy a 74gig raptor?

They're great tbh:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

No No

What you REALLY need is a 37 gig. It will force you into keeping your PC clean
    and organised :D

No No

What you REALLY need is a 37 gig. It will force you into keeping your PC clean
    and organised :D

damn right :p

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Aero Cool socket A heatsink massive brass tower with 2x 80mm fans I only used it once and the temp. went way up . cost €70.00

Speaking of those ridiculous heatsinks I have to say that my worst purchase was an Aerocool Jet 7+. I just couldn't mount it no matter what I did. Gave it back to peats in the end, I was 100% convinced that my motherboard socket would have snapped before the heatsink went into place, it was just not a good fit for the board. Also it shrieked like a friggin bansehee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Speaking of those ridiculous heatsinks I have to say that my worst purchase was an Aerocool Jet 7+. I just couldn't mount it no matter what I did. Gave it back to peats in the end, I was 100% convinced that my motherboard socket would have snapped before the heatsink went into place, it was just not a good fit for the board. Also it shrieked like a friggin bansehee.

haha yeah, i had one of them too. i thought it was gonna rip my motherboard in half, but after ab0out 2 hours of trying to fit it, i just bent the metal retention bracket with a vice grips and a screw driver, and it fitted on. But oh what a racket it made :/ And it got full of **** very easilly, and was impossible to get out to clean.

Anyway my worst purchace was a 5800U when it first came out, i think i pad about 600 punts for it, a whole weeks wages at the time, And oh my god, did it suck balls. I saw about 10% increase from a ti4600.

3 months later and i bought a 9800pro which was on b grade on komplett because the box was damaged( about 190 punts ). Had that card almost a year.

Next worst thing was the coolermaster aquagate watercooling kit, Which i got for 45€ from pc world :) ( xmas time = everything in stock goes really cheap, And may too, thats the end of the finincial year )

It cooled the cpu by about 1C more with the fan at its highest speed. and made a ****ign racket while doing it. Oh and i wont go into the fitting, or leak testing the bloody thing. Never again would i buy pre assembled watercooling.

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Having spent most of the morning researching my upgrade options, I'd have to say my worst purchase was my previous 'upgrade' from an AlthlonXP 2600 to an AMD64 3000... God what was I thinking?! I hardly noticed a difference at all.
    All the hype about 64bit and I'm still running a 32bit OS and 32bit apps.
    I'll certainly have replaced this cpu before I'm making use of a 64bit.
    The worst part was the motherboard I bought with the new CPU was socket 939 and AGP, both upgrade dead-ends as far as I'm concerned.
    The only saving grace was that it's a good overclocker.

I'd beg to differ, I found a big CPU performance increase going from an AXP 3000+ to an A64 3000+. 64bit wasn't the only change between them at all.

Try checking counterstrike framerates with the athlon xp versus the athlon 64, should get destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

x850xt, lost so much cash on that overpriced piece of crap.

Advertisement