Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your worst purchase?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I got this PSU about 4 years ago. A nice, shiney gold coloured one, I think it was a 500w Q-tec and it sounded very much like an Airbus. :( Actually I think I flogged it to someone off boards after about a few days of buying it. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ruu wrote:
    I got this PSU about 4 years ago. A nice, shiney gold coloured one, I think it was a 500w Q-tec and it sounded very much like an Airbus. :( Actually I think I flogged it to someone off boards after about a few days of buying it. :)

How could you!!! The unfortunate buyer of that PSU problem lost his arm and several hundred euro worth of equipment in an explosion!

Damn Q-Tec PSUs....

P.s Why isnt there a best purchases thread ? :) I sold my 7800gt for €250 and bought a X1800XT 512mb for the same price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭limey_tank

ASUS K8N-DRE

One of the worst motherboards I've ever worked with. Brackets for the stock AMD sinks & fans weren't supplied and there wasn't enough room on this huge board for the 2 Zalman coolers I bought.

The graphics card had to be a single width card because of a badly placed SO-DIMM socket.

A total nightmare for numerous other picky reasons, the trouble I had even getting it to POST. Very picky as far is RAM is concerned!?!

It was replaced with a Tyan K8WE. Everything was transplanted and worked first time and it's clear the designers put a lot of thought into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I got an Abit IC7-G and the fricking thing did my head in .. I could not get Xp to format the Hd, or install xp .... turns out nothing will install or work properly without increasing the ram voltage to 2.8volts ... which of course invalidated my ram warranty :mad: ... and then when I had managed to get xp installed the sound from the onboard chip was all crackly and I had to get a seperate sound card :( After 2 months the bearing on the northbridge hsf went and it started screeching ... had to pay for postage for a new one, and while installing it the horrible little hoops for holding hown the northbridge HSF came out and I had to make some new ones from paperclips .... finally the plastic clip for holding on the cpu HS broke and I had to get a new one of those ....

Only good thing was that it overclocked like a demon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

I've made a string of bad buys.

1st: A Dell in 2002 :(
    2nd: A bunch of cheapo optical mice that coudln't be relied on at all. Also a Microsoft keyboard that couldn't handle more than 2 concurrent keypresses (makes gaming impossible)
    3rd: €245 on a AMD A64 3700+ just before the Core2Duos came out and AMD mega-slashed their prices :( The same processor sold for €105 a month later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

SeanW wrote:
    I've made a string of bad buys.
    2nd: A bunch of cheapo optical mice that coudln't be relied on at all. Also a Microsoft keyboard that couldn't handle more than 2 concurrent keypresses (makes gaming impossible)
    lol, what happened when you needed to Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Microsoft of all companies should have known better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

lol, what happened when you needed to Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Microsoft of all companies should have known better

Sticky Keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i thought i was unlucky with some of my purchases, But after reading your stories i feel much better :)

Advertisement