Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious problem with dogs chasing cars and donkeys!

• 26-09-2006 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm writing on behalf of my parents who are having serious problems with their two dogs - one's a border collie and the other a mongrol. My parents own a guest house with large grounds and no end of people to entertain the dogs. The collie is about 8 years old and the terrier 2. They've always gone through stages of chasing cars but this particular time has dragged on for months and they're doing some serious damage by biting at the tyres. They've also always chased the donkeys but are now actually drawing blood on the donkeys legs. Unfortunately they never do it when my parents are there cause they know they'll be punished for it but guests report back when they see it. The collie knows what he's doing is wrong as he tends to disappear for about an hour after doing it knowing that he'll be more likely to get away with it. He is now tied to a chain for the most part of the day and the the other one doesn't do it without him so it's very clear who the leader is. My parents have tried barking collars but to no avail. They really are at their wits end and are worried that the temperments of the dogs are changing - something that is worrying when they have a guest house and kids running around all the time. Would really appreciate any ideas that anyone has. Just yesterday they had to pay an English couple £200 sterling for damage to their tyres. Look forward to your replies.
    Hannah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

How about building a run - about the same as the £200 damage they'd have to pay.
    Dogs out loose = disaster and it's against the law - please build a secure run for these dogs - I can't begin to imagine what people staying there must think if they see donkeys being attacked by dogs.
    I can tell you I'd be furious :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Definitely build a run.

It's not just tyres. What if they chased a donkey with a child in it, then in their over-excitement attacked the child? What if they bit the tyres on a car and caused it to crash, killing a driver? Quite apart from the necessity of having some conscience, your parents could be bankrupted by the cost of either of these events.

The dogs are out of control, and they need to be leashed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They shoudln't be out on the loose anyway. Have them build a decent run and if money is tight with a bit of imagination they can build one out of builders panels (the panels you see on building sites) they are about 65 euro each compared to up to 120 for a dog run panel. Either that or fencing off the garden, if it's a large area contact FRS (farm relief services) they do great timber post with chainlink fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hannahkennan

Sorry for not making myself clear. The dogs are not out on the loose and therefore no laws are been broken. They chase cars on the driveway only and never go past the front gate. The cars are certainly never going fast enough to crash and kill the driver. They have always been adorable family pets whom the guests all love but happen to have picked up some bad habits which we're worried about and want to deal with before they get any worse. Was hoping more for some tips on how to train older dogs, what punishment methods to use, etc. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Why don't you speak to a behaviourist or good dog trainer where you live
    Without seeing the dogs carry on and assess their behaviour then it would be impossible to give sound advice.

On the other hand - you need not have to punish a dog - I always REWARD my dogs for being good and I have never even tapped any of them.

It takes time and effort and energy but with the right trainer you can improve.
    These are not bad habits the dogs have " picked up "
    Appears to me that they have been allowed a free rein to do what they like and now it's problem ! Dogs will be dogs if let .......

• Advertisement
Advertisement