Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Question on different editinfg grades?

• 26-09-2006 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

If you want to get a job with the BBC do you have to go through their training. I notice different grades on their job website. Do you have to go through their courses as thier pretty expensive.

Also whats a ticket?

Ive seen it in the sticky threads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

7. Getting your ticket. Your union card is refered to as your "ticket" and to get even a trainee AD or clapper loader job you need to have it. You'll need to get four signatures. And these will vary from traineeship to traineeship, some will require the signature of a HoD or two in your specific department. Others will require four signatures from anyone in any grade in your dept (ie, focus puller, operator etc) Some jobs won't be pushed, some departments like editing barely exist, others will be miltant. If you've got a potential job, and you've still not got all your signatures, bring your ticket along on the first day of work, and you'll find some sympathetic signaturers.

According to Mycroft (who's no longer here.) A ticket is your union card. But in editing its not as big of a thing as it is in other areas.

I dont think many other people who pass through here have mentioned it often. So as long as you know what it is, it shouldnt be a problem.
    I notice different grades on their job website. Do you have to go through their courses as thier pretty expensive.

I dont know about the grades, could you provide a link to the page mentioning them. The courses wouldnt be mandatory but if your only starting out they can help alot in both educating you on the industry and in making contacts.

this might help
    http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/jobfamily/mediaprintandpublishing/tvfilmeditor.cfm?fd=1448

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lr158

Cheers for the reply

Something like this for a sub editor:

BBC MONITORING

JOB SPECIFICATION

Job Title Monitoring Journalist

Reports to TBC (grade 7 to 9)

Grade 6D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I was at a filmmakers meeting today and I thought of you, so I popped the question to an editor i know (I work in Cambridge). he says the Grading system must be something internal in BBC, he's worked freelance for the last 8 or so years and he hasnt come across it.

But the advice he passes on to judge how well your doing in post production, is to look at your CV and look for these details.

1. Qualified/Coporate: Your experianced in a post production enviroment and your knowledgable with both Final Cut Pro and Avid (the two main editing programs.), you have most likely edited numerous independent shorts and/or coporate videos.

2. Broadcast: A piece of work you've worked on has been broadcasted on national television.

3. Studio: A piece of work you've worked has been distributed as a feature by a major studio.

He says to keep these sort of guidelines in mind when trying to sell yourself for employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lr158

Oh cool.

Well Im just out of college with a 15 minute short thats pretty much ok! I should post it up.

No experiance buy have pretty decent results.

Im also in London now and have just really started to sent CVs away today,

Any further advice on jobs?

Advertisement