Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scam

Options
  • 26-09-2006 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

i am selling my car at the minute and i got this email from someone:
    I came across your advert during my search for buying theseitem
    " BMW 318 SE 1.8 Petrol,
    Pls let me know whether is still available for sale and also the price,my name is danny brown,am situated at Hamilton in Canada the best country so far.I have a shipper that will be responsible for the shipment in England as well.Shipment will not be your stress.but before payment, i want you to asure me that you will be honest and trust worthy with me throughout this transaction.Payment will issued by a certified GBP Bank draft.Pls let me know the price pls.
    danny brown

i replied with 6000 and his response was :
    Hi Sound Good...
    I'm ready to proceed with the purchase, I will instruct my ireland bank to raise the GBP BANK draft directly in your name and favour from my account for the sum of 9,500 euroYou'll allow the draft to clear for 2-3 days at your Bank. After you might have deducted your payment, the excess fund should be sent to my shipper in the UK, via money gram. My shipper'll handle the shipping to Canada, he deals with Quick Time,and fast delivery.I'll like to pay you 300 euro for your efforts and the money gram charges.
    Pls send your full datas,so that you'll recieve the draft very
    soon.NAME...PHYSICAL ADDRESS...PHONE NUMBERS...
    Hoping to hear from you asap,shipper will come for pickup at your address.
    danny brown

This seems like a scam to me i was just wondering has anyone come across a scam like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

BabyEater wrote:
    i am selling my car at the minute and i got this email from someone:

i replied with 6000 and his response was :

This seems like a scam to me i was just wondering has anyone come across a scam like this.

It's a scam, the bank draft will be a fake/stolen. What I would do if I were you is ask him to send it to you anyway, and present it to your bank and ask them to investigate it. It may prevent someone else from getting scammed in the same manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Well thats why i replied to him at all. I might reply just to to see what he sends

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Complete SCAM, a big S-C-A-M written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is an old obvious scam. Run for the hills.

Might be fun to mess with him for a while though, just for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Nigerians are at it again :rolleyes:

It seems to be a national pastime, although I've heard someone say recent ones originate in Eastern Europa / Russia sometimes
    bazz26 wrote:

Some of these stories here are hilarious. One of my favourites is the one about the Church of Fish and Bread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

unkel wrote:
    Aye. The ****ing ******s will take your car and your money, and then you'll be up **** creek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Given that Western Union is the media of choice when it somes for scammers to get funds from their prey, forget the check. Ask for a Western Union bank draft, see what the response is, probably a berating for being difficult to do business with, etc..... or just forget it.... it's a scam anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

At least try get a bank draft out of him. (fake or otherwise)

Then use it to buy a 2nd hand car in nigeria. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

unkel wrote:

Spot on. You can spot the cut and paste boiler plate illiteracy a mile off. :)
    unkel wrote:
    It seems to be a national pastime, although I've heard someone say recent ones originate in Eastern Europa / Russia sometimes

The Romas and Vlads don't tend to bother with this stuff much, they're more interested in phishing, that is harvesting bank details and cc numbers. Far more lucrative.

Where they do stoop to this level of bottom feeding, their grammar tends to be far better, and much more convincing. :mad:

I'm delighted to see that people are savvy enough to spot these scams a mile off, and more, that they are well read enough to know the origin of same. If everybody could be educated as to this kind of thing, advance fee fraud could well become as rare as the internet pop up.*

*Yes, I know pop ups are still as prevalent as ever, but, remember when they were part and parcel of internet browsing?

bazz26 wrote:
    This is an old obvious scam. Run for the hills.

NO!

This guy (in Lagos, Amsterdam or where ever) has the OPs details, to some extent at least.

The fact that he mentions an Irish bank, hints that, firstly, he knows the OPs location, and secondly that he may have operatives "working" on this side.Do you really want four Nigerians, resplendent in basketball tops, baggy pants and carrying wheel braces, pulling up outside your door in a battered, waxed up 12 year old Primera?

Bait safe, people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

*Yes, I know pop ups are still as prevalent as ever, but, remember when they were part and parcel of internet browsing?

What sites were U on??;)

Ornithology...

...kinda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Had a read of your blog - keep it up - I like your style!

Advertisement