Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting metal flue !

Options
  • 26-09-2006 9:44pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am about to fit an oil stove to an old opening.

I have been told to fit a metal internal flue into the existing chimney flue, due to condensation etc, and also put a cap onto the chimney stack/top.

so, whats the best way to put in the metal liner - I think it's like a 4" flexi hose used for shower/kitchen extractor - just metal - correct ???

Do I drop a rope from the top of the chimney and pull it up ??
    How do I attach the metal at the top of the chimney.

any other help would be great.
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

karltimber wrote:
    Am about to fit an oil stove to an old opening.

I have been told to fit a metal internal flue into the existing chimney flue, due to condensation etc, and also put a cap onto the chimney stack/top.

so, whats the best way to put in the metal liner - I think it's like a 4" flexi hose used for shower/kitchen extractor - just metal - correct ???

Do I drop a rope from the top of the chimney and pull it up ??
    How do I attach the metal at the top of the chimney.

any other help would be great.
    Thx

I don't know how it is done, but those who install gas boilers or oil condensing boilers would know how to do it. The flexi-flue is stainless steel.
    Jim.

I have seen these been installed in the UK, the method used is to pull the sleeve up from the fireplace and then backfilling the void between the liner and the chimney with sand.
    The flue terminal is then fitted on top and job done....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Back fill with sand ??

it would take a lot of sand to fill around the new metal flue to the walls of the old one. thats the guts of 30 foot high !!!

There must be a better way than that -- why fill it out at all.

It's only fumes going up the chimney !!!

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

karltimber wrote:
    Back fill with sand ??

it would take a lot of sand to fill around the new metal flue to the walls of the old one. thats the guts of 30 foot high !!!

There must be a better way than that -- why fill it out at all.

It's only fumes going up the chimney !!!

thx

The reason for filling it afaik is for insulation to prevent dampness and improve the draw. The best material is to use vermiculite and sand (not sure if you add a little cement. Using an 6" flue liner in a 8" flue it's only just over 0.125 cubic metres if my calculations are correct. A bag of vermiculite is extremely light, and you might get away without the sand, so it's easy to carry up on the roof and pour down the void in the chimney.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thx qwerty.

one other question.
    Is it ok to have the metal flue from the stove going through plasterboard (recently plastered fireplace) and for that plasterboard to support the vermiculite that is above it

thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

Hi There,

I'd like to ask how you got on with installing your stove/lining your chimney? I plan to install a gas fired stove in a conventional fireplace/flue and would like to hear about your experience. It's the first time I heard of having to back fill the chimney after lining.
    If you have still not completed the job I can reommnend the reading on the following website:

http://www.euroheat.co.uk/support/Pdf/16_Flue_%26_Chimney_Information/Index.Htm
    I would appreciate any feedback on your experience (BTW, I'm also in Navan).

Advertisement