Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist looking to get more money from me

Options
  • 26-09-2006 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I went to see the dentist the other day, and he told me that I needed 'some work done' on my teeth. Afterwards told him I had vhi dental cover (70% of most treatments covered) and he filled out the forms and I made another appointment.

Today he took another look at my teeth and decided I needed an expensive root canal treatment, as well as what I think was a crown also, all coming to about €1600.

Is he trying something on here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well you could always get a second opinion from another dentist if you're in doubt.
    I certainly couldn't tell you if you needed a root canal or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

How am I going to get another dentist to give me a second opinion? As soon as I tell him I'm looking for his opinion he'll know there's something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Dont tell him that you are looking for his opinion then.
    Just go in asking for a general check up and see what he says to you

Ya, but sure he'll want to charge me then for the checkup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

I know vivas are now in the business of covering the cost of second opinions for exact;ly the reason u suspect here so maybe u can approach the vhi, or else move ur cover..

the dentist story I like telling is when my son had to get some "extra enamel" put on his teeth [he was born premature and his teeth did not get the full enamel] the work was 900 quid and when I asked for a tax invoice he said it was not covered under the med2, that was why it was so cheap:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ircoha wrote:
    I know vivas are now in the business of covering the cost of second opinions for exact;ly the reason u suspect here so maybe u can approach the vhi, or else move ur cover..

the dentist story I like telling is when my son had to get some "extra enamel" put on his teeth [he was born premature and his teeth did not get the full enamel] the work was 900 quid and when I asked for a tax invoice he said it was not covered under the med2, that was why it was so cheap:)

Aren't all dental expenses claimable?

only at the marginal rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

There's a dental practice in belfast that advertises in the personal column of the Sunday Tribune - can't remember it name - but get the ST next sunday and call them for a quote. I believe they are substantially cheaper.

Other alternative is to go to Budapest and get treatment there for about 1/10th the cost - again there is a dentistry aftercare place in cork that has treatment rooms in Budapest. - Was on radio about a year ago - can't remember details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Found the website for Hungary

Root Canal & Crown - €400

They have a dublin consultation place too.

http://www.access-smile.ie/prices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I don't know if you need an RCT or not, but sometimes a filling is deeper than an x-ray shows and then it's up to the dentist to decide if an RTC needs doing. You can have an RCT without having a crown. I've got some that are not crowned.

It might not be any harm getting a second opinion. There are dentists, not all by any means, who will carry out unnecessary work especially if the patient isn't paying for it or not the full amount. I've worked as a dental nurse in the UK for years and this sort of abuse was widespread. There were plenty of dentists working for the NHS that earned a hell of a lot more than private dentists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement