Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TALKTALK BroadBand 24.99 Called to house in Skerries

Options
  • 26-09-2006 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi

I had a sales rep call to the house he said TALKTALK will be setting up in a month and will have Uncapped 6mbs Broadband for 24.99 in the area.
    Have any of you guys heard about this. They are going to ring back on Thursday Friday I currently have utv and they said they will take care of the switchover.

Has any one heard about this,?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I would be very careful of this, it might be a scam/fraud.

Don't give them any credit card details or bank details.

It could be real, but I'd be very surprised if a company started selling such good BB here in Ireland and that non of us here on this boards haven't heard anything about it.

It just seems too good to be true and therefore it usually is.

I'd look up TalkTalk's phone number in the phone book and contact them directly to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

unless eircom provide a 6mbps service, i dont see how they are going to provide 6mbps, unless of course its LLU ( which i doubt ), or is wireless ( which would negate teh comment about a switchover )

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I have heard of them allright, in the UK, they are part of the CarPhone Warehouse Group. I dwas not aware they were operating here but it seems they are al least with wireless. This link might shed more light on their operations.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5234024.stm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TalkTalk are a very well known company in UK and even Ireland...best to keep an eye on http://www.talktalk.ie/ and phone them to query regarding the sales rep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Ok guys I will wait for the sales rep to ring on Thursday he gave me a whole load of docs on phone rates etc so it does look like the real deal I will keep you updated on any developments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tobinj

they offer up to 8mb in the uk, you have to sign up to the highest call package, talk3 (costs 23.99 in ireland for talk3 for the first three months, dont know what it is after that)
    check www.talktalk.co.uk, no mention of broadband on the irish site

I also had someone from talktalk call to my house to try and get me to switch my calls over to them and he mentioned that they were planning on bringing out free broadband to existing customers. I assume it will be the same story that you have to sign up to the talk3 plan to get it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I realise they are a real company, they are owned by carphonewarehouse, but I was just concerned that some fraudsters might be trying to use their name to carry out a scam.

As it is it looks like it might be just a sales ploy, sign up for our phone service now and we will have BB soon.

But there are only two ways to deliver DSL:
    1) Using Eircoms wholesale Bitstream service (they use BT's similar service in the UK), but that only goes up to 3m.

2) Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) where they put their own equipment in Eircoms exchanges. The problem with this is that it takes an awful long time, there is no way it would be in Skerries in just a few months.

So in summary I'd be very cautious about signing up to anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am thinking scam / fraud as well bk. Get all the details like a number to call them back on, make sure caller ID works when they call you and do not give ANY bank or cc details. If its a fraud at least you can help trace them that way .

See if they quote in euros or pounds ???

The real Talk Talk is surely not daft enough to call people in ireland selling a UK package ....unless you have a UK number forwarding to Ireland psygnosis do you ????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RedMarko

I was a Talk Talk customer up until a week or two ago (left in order to take up a broadband/phone bundled offer). I also would have heard (from some friendly people in the know in TT) if they were going to offer broadband! They have no plans to at this time.

Any such plans would be on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Looks like they may be offering BB but not on their website yet www.talktalk.ie but I would buy online not with a door to door sales person just in case!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

These guys were on BBC Watchdog a few weeks ago. They offered free broadband to new customers in the UK, oversold it, and couldn't cope with the demand. I wouldn't trust them until they're well established as a BB provider over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It is probabily 3Mbps max package.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Yeah if someones offering FREE BB then theres something fishy about it or there are loads of T&C's with it. Nothings Free in this world!!!

Advertisement