Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lastmile broadband

Options
  • 27-09-2006 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    Im very likely getting in lastmile broadband cos its the only broadband option available to me where I live.
    I was wondering for anyone who has it or has tried it.

Is it good?
    Is it fast?
    Is it easy using up that 10gb limit?
    Is there a little meter at the bottom of the screen telling you how much youve used up on the download limit?
    Is their 10gb limit just for downloads and not for browsing?
    Is their service good?
    Would you recommend them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

quinnd6 wrote:
    Hi there
    Im very likely getting in lastmile broadband cos its the only broadband option available to me where I live.

This is why people use Lastmile. It's not going to be as fast or as cheap as wired, but it does the job and it's a damn sight better than ISDN or Sat.

Good Points:
    Generally reliable

Bad Points:
    Customer service can be terrible to non-existant, but most people don't need it too often.

I've never seen a download meter and I haven't come across anyone who's been warned for hitting the download limit, but then again, most people I know using it would be on business tariffs or would be light users(farmers).

If you can't get wired broadband, then yes, I would recommend it.

PS: VOIP with Lastmile can be a bit of an adventure, so don't make too many promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Is it good? its not great
    Is it fast? youll be lucky to reach your download speed of 512
    Is it easy using up that 10gb limit? ive never hit it
    Is there a little meter at the bottom of the screen telling you how much you've used up on the download limit? no
    Is their 10gb limit just for downloads and not for browsing? yea just download
    Is their service good? you dont have a choice and they know it
    Would you recommend them? only as a last resort, there customer service is crap

hi ive had lsat mile bb for a year now and like you its the only bb i can get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Still a lot faster than dial up though right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Yep, a lot faster than dialup. In fairness, it works well enough. It's slower and dearer than wired broadband, but compared to dialup, it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Occidental wrote:
    Yep, a lot faster than dialup. In fairness, it works well enough. It's slower and dearer than wired broadband, but compared to dialup, it's fantastic.

I agree. Ive had it 10 months and overall it quite good.Its only been down about 5 times in that period and each time I rang it was sorted while i was on the phone.

Overall im happy cause when it was down i had to resort to dial-up and i tell you that was painful. I know we are by the nuts out in the sticks but sure what does a man do....

Worth getting if you have no options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Marc_AJay

when u say voip is an adventure....oh dear! thats one of the uses i wanted it for....updating my website, voip to friends across glabe, faster serfing, youtube, music, games etc.....voip is adventure :-( oh oh.....can you enlighten me to what the adventure involves :-) only company for my area and know they have problems regarding customer care but can the service be used for voip or is it totally unstable?

would like to know if they are "Ok-ish" for voip :) using a "proper" skype phone with noise reduction built in....can that help?

just typical skype skype to landline calls? read you can do it on a 33k modem so wondering if lastmile or "last option" as it should be called can cater for it or can you only make a proper call on it at some weird time like 5am?

Advertisement