Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corrupt driving instructers/examiners

Options
  • 27-09-2006 2:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

ok, the story is thus...........

i applied for my test, i got a date, after 14 months of waiting. the week of the test came. my car at the time was an automatic so i decided to rent one out from place were my test was being held (im not sure if i can name them???)

so the day preivious i decided to take a lesson, which i did,. the dude turned up at my house reeking of alcohol, and over the coarse of the test made several references to being drunk on the job and drinking on the job and "not being able to do this job if ya were sober"

any way, he was a strange guy and even sulked and wouldnt talk to me when i apparently didnt do what he told me to do :eek:

i had him booked for a pre test the next day before the actual test, which was basically the same story.

anyway, i went in for my test and passed the aural with flying colours, so off we went in the car......

now here's the strange bit...... the instructer which i had the previous day, and that morning told me some things that, and i quote " is now acceptable behaviour for the driving test" . here are some....

-- no need to put on your hand break if your at the entrance of a busy road, incase somebody is letting you out and you have to get out in a hurry.
    -- ya know the speed bumps the has one bump, in the middle of your side of the road like these. well its quite acceptable to move your car over so that your wheels go over each side of them, effectively not having to slow down.
    -- if someone pulls out in front of you, dont stop, rather hold your hand on the horn so they can pull out of your way. :confused:

anyway, in the test, i know i should have used my common sense on the hand break and speed bumps, but hey, he was the instructer, so i listened to him. i did both, which i failed on.

all in all i failed by one point, i got something like 13 x's when you can get 12 ???

i got 3 x's for the hand break... go figure..

i should have made an official complaint.....

anyone else experience something like this?

recently my brother got an X for going through an orange light, so on the next orange light he stopped well in time, and got an x for that too. also, he got an x for going over a large speed bump, "too slow" ??

corruption is a terrible thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH, these people will have more experiences and advice better suited that people ranting at you in After Hours. Mods as always feel free to throw it back in my direction. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

thanks ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

no offense or anything but if you listened to this instructor while he was p!ssed and took his bad advice, then you deserved to fail! You knew he was an unfit instructor at the time of the lessons...

My missus failed aswell for not overtaking a parked car, she waited as there was a car coming from the other direction and 'she had time to go around'.. looks like people are being failed for being too safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Package wrote:
    -- if someone pulls out in front of you, dont stop, rather hold your hand on the horn so they can pull out of your way. :confused:

Did you not at any point realise this guy was Fu*king with you.

Anyway you cant let him get away with it. Can you report him to his boss. If not give tha Guards the heads up that he's a drink driver. Supply car details and reg number to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Package - sorry to hear you didnt get thru after such a long wait for the test
    but i think you have to ask yourself why did you go thru' with the initial lesson with this joker, when as you say "he was reeking of booze". I know you had waited 14months, and here you are a day or two before the test, but come on man.. At a guess, and im not naming anyone, would it be one of the larger(est) driving schools who you booked with? A written complaint to the MD, not just the office manager is the way to go. You might not get any reply in any case, but the local office mamger might just see it as a case of sour grapes cos you didnt pass your test.
    On another note, you know if you pass your test in an automatic then you will only be issued with a licence for autos. If you do it in a manual you clear to drive a car with either form of transmission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm still waiting to hear about the corrupt instructers and examiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Package wrote:

i got 3 x's for the hand break... go figure.
    Package wrote:
    recently my brother got an X for going through an orange light, so on the next orange light he stopped well in time, and got an x for that too. also, he got an x for going over a large speed bump, "too slow" ??

The title of your thread implies that instructors and examiners are corrupt. From what I've read the examiner did absolutely nothing wrong in your case. You had a terrible instructor who told you a load of crap and the examiner failed you as a result.

If you make the same mistake 3 times you're going to get 3 faults against you. Your instructor should not be teaching people to drive though. It's ridiculous the crap he was feeding you.

As for your brother's expericence, it depends very much on the individual circumstances at each set of lights. An amber light is an indication to prepare to stop if it is safe to do so. Depending on the car's position in the junction, if there's traffic behind etc it may not be safe to do so and the correct option is to proceed through the lights.

Where's the corruption? If you had a tale of bribes being taken then ok but it's just bad instructing.

I do agree that the entire system needs a complete overhaul though. The instructor side of it needs proper regulation with enforceable standards and from the examiner side of it the waiting list in most areas is a joke. The whole provisional licence system is farcical too. Being able to drive out of the test centre after failing and not have to take a test for another 2 years is ridiculous.

Personally I think the test is too easy. It should include driving in adverse weather, driving at night and Motorway driving etc. Maybe then the general standard would improve and we wouldn't have the road safety record we do.

as for car details, that was nearly 3 years ago now,, so details are out the window.. i should have done something at the time, too late now,. my mistake and they are allowed to get away with it because people like me dont report them.

i was stupid to go out with him in the first place, i just wanted to get my licence.

the reason i used the word corruption is this. before i even applied for the test, my friend did his test, and because he gave a bung, he obviously knew he was gonna pass before he even got in the car, easy what 250 euro can do for ya innit.

most of us know, through a friend of a friend someone who can sort this,. my own cousins best mate offered me this same deal. he also saidthat for each person who he passes from bungs, he has to fail a borderline or otherwise driver who may or may not have passed otherwise, to keep the averages.

ie. some ****er bungs and passes before he gets in the car, next driver fails before he even gets in the car = corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Package wrote:

the reason i used the word corruption is this. before i even applied for the test, my friend did his test, and because he gave a bung, he obviously knew he was gonna pass before he even got in the car, easy what 250 euro can do for ya innit.

most of us know, through a friend of a friend someone who can sort this,. my own cousins best mate offered me this same deal. he also saidthat for each person who he passes from bungs, he has to fail a borderline or otherwise driver who may or may not have passed otherwise, to keep the averages.

ie. some ****er bungs and passes before he gets in the car, next driver fails before he even gets in the car = corruption.

It's kinda easy to throw in a story about bribes now just to legitimise your earlier post isn't it.

I have no doubt that bungs/bribery exist to some extent (show me a completely scandal free occupation) but the whole thing about averages/quotas of people they have to fail is bull. There's no such thing. It's the first excuse that people who are pissed off about failing roll out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Package wrote:
    as for car details, that was nearly 3 years ago now,, so details are out the window.. i should have done something at the time, too late now,. my mistake and they are allowed to get away with it because people like me dont report them.

Second person on here today crying about instrutors and expects boards to magically do something. Its your own life and nobody on here can complain fo r you.
    Package wrote:
    i was stupid to go out with him in the first place, i just wanted to get my licence.

You wanted to get your license so you went out with an instructor that was clearly pissed out of his head??? yeah you are really the mature driver we need on the road
    Package wrote:

Sounds like a pile of ..... Oh yeah I called it corrupt because my mate one time gave this bloke 250 and he passed him. Dont think so.
    Package wrote:

Seems this mate and that mate or some other mate of yours must be great and in the know. I dont know anyone who can do this or have heard of this.

The usual c**p about the pass rate. Yeah of course this mate of yours knows all the systems. I have a mate, one time he flew to the moon and kicked the man on the moons ass. Its true!!
    Package wrote:

How is that corruption? sounds to me like your making this up. First of all you got in a driver with a man who was pissed, then you believed the biggest pile of sh*t instructions and then went ahead and done it in the test. Sounds like you havent a clue about driving because if you didt you wouldnt have believed a word you where being told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Package wrote:
    i should have made an official complaint.....

To the driving testor? because he seen you where terrible and failed you?
    Package wrote:
    anyone else experience something like this?

No, one test, one pass, some people know how to drive
    Package wrote:

Yeah cause if you read the book it says it is ok to go thru an amber light when it is unsafe to stop. Whats the bets your bro floored it when he seen the amber when he should have stopped, then slamed on the brakes at the next amber light which could cause an accident. Again show your lack of knowledge of the roads
    Package wrote:

Where is the corruption? you failed and from the sounds of it your bro did so it has to be corrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, I don't really believe a word of this, except for that you failed your test, I'll believe that bit.

Any sane person would have reported a drunk driving instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I may be wrong here (and slightly OT), but when a learner driver has a qualified driver with them, doesn't that qualified driver also need to be capable of driving legally (ie. if the qualified driver is drunk or has excessive levels of alcohol that they can't accompany the learner)?

The logical extension of that would be that if you are a learner and your qualified driver isn't capable of driving, that is tantamount to unaccompanied driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Package wrote:

why dont you go to the papers with all that inside info you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Personally I think the test is too easy. It should include driving in adverse weather, driving at night and Motorway driving etc. Maybe then the general standard would improve and we wouldn't have the road safety record we do.

but sure how would you do the waether and night driving in the summer?

and how can you take in motorway driving if an L driver will have no experience of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Also Package you fail with 1 grade 1 mark, or 9 grade 2 marks, or 4/5 grade 2 marks in the same area.
    so you still failed if you take out the hand brake excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

event wrote:
    but sure how would you do the waether and night driving in the summer?

and how can you take in motorway driving if an L driver will have no experience of it?

This is possible, it's the way it's done in Germany. They have to pay nearly 2000 euro for 40 lessons, 10 in normal conditions, 10 at night, 10 in adverse weather like snow and 10 on the autobahn. Then they have to pass a first aid course and then they're allowed to sit the test.

If they fail the test they have to do it all over again... The system works, they're better drivers then the provisional loving Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

event wrote:

How can you suddenly drive on the motorway after the test with no experience of it?

o me a favour mods,, lock this thread before i get into a row with some of these half witted morons who have nothing better to do than make stupid comments..

personally,, i dont give two flyings ****s if any of you believe me or not,, im not so shallow that i need the consent of a two bit dick head like some of these people here.

believe it or not,, up to you,, either way,, i dont give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I may be wrong here (and slightly OT), but when a learner driver has a qualified driver with them, doesn't that qualified driver also need to be capable of driving legally (ie. if the qualified driver is drunk or has excessive levels of alcohol that they can't accompany the learner)?

The logical extension of that would be that if you are a learner and your qualified driver isn't capable of driving, that is tantamount to unaccompanied driving.

No because the supervisor might not be insured to drive that car, so couldn't take over, sober or not.
    A drunk might be regarded as being drunk in charge of a vehicle but it seems pretty chancy to me.

Amazed that the OP would actually take a lesson from a drunk. Not only that but then go back and take a second lesson from them.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

ninja900 wrote:
    Amazed that the OP would actually take a lesson from a drunk. Not only that but then go back and take a second lesson from them.

Yeah, I think that sums it all up!
    OP I think you can only blame yourself for the fail, harsh and all as that sounds.

I wouldn't accept any service of a drunk person.....unless of course she was good lookin ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Package has been banned for a week for being abusive!

Advertisement