Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband in Westport??

Options
  • 27-09-2006 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭

Customer at work has a laptop and would like to use it for broadband access when he is home in Westport. Does anybody know of any wireless providers as he does not have a land line?

Thanks

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Depending on where in Westport, we (WestNet) may be able to oblige. PM me for contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Maints

Croke Patrick Community Network (CPCN) run a wireless network near Westport.

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Maints wrote:
    Croke Patrick Community Network (CPCN) run a wireless network near Westport.

Paul.

Thanks for the plug Paul!

Skibum, you can pm me for details on the Croagh Patrick Network if you like.

Barbara

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hello77

Hi,
    Who can I contact regarding this? I am in Kilmeena, need to get broadband. Please help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Have a look to see if you are covered for 3G, either with vodafone or Three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Hello77 wrote:
    Hi,
    Who can I contact regarding this? I am in Kilmeena, need to get broadband. Please help!!
    PM OscarBravo

Well i have, and 3 said they would have coverage but vodafone won't...don't know if i trust them...will have to work on this connection, not much point even going down that route if its too slow...

Hello77 wrote:
    Well i have, and 3 said they would have coverage but vodafone won't...don't know if i trust them...will have to work on this connection, not much point even going down that route if its too slow...
    Voda definitely don't have 3G coverage out there and I would be very surprised if 3 had better than 2.5G (via Voda) in that area as it's lots of Drumlins.

.brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Three have high speed in westport - certainly at Hotel Westport. They also have a 14 day return guarantee.

Voda ony have 60% 3g coverage against three's 85%.

mcaul wrote:
    Three have high speed in westport - certainly at Hotel Westport. They also have a 14 day return guarantee.

Westport town has good 3G coverage from both Voda and 3, not sure about O2

However Kilmena is several miles outside of the town in a very hilly area and almost no parts of kilmena are going to see any of the Cell sites in Westport.

Glad to hear that 3 have a 14 Day money back policy. However in that area (Kilmena) there may be other better (than 3G ) options available.

.Brendan

• Advertisement

Well, what are the better options, in your opinion?
    I have checked with westnet, no go...
    Eircom have no intention of putting down the lines yet...
    Have signed up for 3, can always cancel if it does not work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Hello77 wrote:
    Well, what are the better options, in your opinion?
    I have checked with westnet, no go...
    Eircom have no intention of putting down the lines yet...
    Have signed up for 3, can always cancel if it does not work

I am 7 MILES away from Newport, cant see it, and plenty of hills in the way, i pick up Vodafones 3G signal, admitidly I do have to use an external antenna from Germany.Thankfully i can now also pick up Three's 3G service.If you have no joy with the Three card PM me, if i am in the area i will pop around with my antenna and see if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭TT&TO

have vodafone modem and live very close to westport town centre. it is very slow and sometimes only gives speeds less than dial up. but most of time, once you stick to text based sites, it is perfect. bit pricey at 40 euro a month, though. :rolleyes:

Thanks a million, Godskitchen!
    Will keep ya posted!

Advertisement