Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to wep

• 27-09-2006 8:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

i am trying to secure my home network here. the router is a 3com office connect and there are two laptops clients, one using xp and the other windows 2000. Using wep, when I apply the password, neither laptop can see the network so I am not in a position to select a network. Where do I go next?
    Any suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

pjproby wrote:
    Where do I go next?
    Stop using WEP and use WPA instead. WEP has major interoperability issues, and can be cracked in minutes. WPA offers better encryption, and far better interoperabilty - mixing and matching between clients from different sources doesn't cause nearly as many problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

foxwood-thanks but i can neither wep nor wpa since neither laptop can see the network-if i remove the encryption then both can see the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

pjproby wrote:
    foxwood-thanks but i can neither wep nor wpa since neither laptop can see the network-if i remove the encryption then both can see the network.
    Are you using the client software that came with the network cards, or are you using Windows Wireles Zero Configuration client?

If you're using the client software that came with the wireless cards, have you verified that you have the most up to date version available? (There have been a number of posts about updates from Intel for built-in wireless support on Dell laptops).

Advertisement