Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Transport Survey

Options
  • 27-09-2006 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

hi

I've just spent 55 minutes trying to travel 8 miles and with a general election looming I thought it was time we pointed out the bleeding obvious to all the politicians who will call to your door.

Cork County Council have a link on their website re doing a survey but only for EAST cork to do with the midleton railway. I thought that other locations should get a mention as well so as to illustrate the poor transport in some areas.

What the council are doing is getting people to keep a travel diary just for a week. I thought headings such as

Date
    Location (Douglas, Bishopstown etc)
    Travelling To
    Time of Departure
    Time of arrival
    Weather
    Route taken (i.e. what way you end up at your location)

I will summarise the info then and you can all pass it on to your local td

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Where were these 8 miles located? And what method of transportation were you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 bjd

carrigaline to cork.car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

Politicans dont actually call to my door,except mick barry.besides him not one has ever called.So that says everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

today i reached forge hill at 8 40am.got over bridge to pouladuff rd. at 9 20am,sweet jesus!!

• Advertisement

jaysus, that trip to forge hill sounds like horror story!

left at 8.03, got in at 8.34 via packed carrs hill, blocked bloomfield interchange and the single lane into the kinsale roundabout that diverts to the city was blocked up. A whopping 15.68 mph average speed.

The kinsale rd flyover has definetely made things better but my trip when I left at 8.20 used to take about 40 mins, now I have to leave just after 8 for it to take 30 mins.

Can someone tell me why there are green/red men pedestrian lights and a footpath on the Kinsale rd roundabout? i presume its for workmen etc.

just a guess but i take it they kept the pedestrian crossings at the roundabout for cyclists coming from/to airport as the cycle lanes go all the way up and done to airport now,as well id say people who live in the houses by the Roundabout probably want to keep it(to go for a scenic walk into the industrial estate no doubt).

the flyover is great but its frustrating to zoom over the roundabout(at 80-100km coz every other car is) then hit queues for the sarsfield and bandon roundabouts,its only gonna get worse there,oh NRA why oh why couldnt you release the funding for those projects like you said you would?

just a guess but i take it they kept the pedestrian crossings at the roundabout for cyclists coming from/to airport as the cycle lanes go all the way up and done to airport now

cyclists on kinsale rd roundabout? deathwish. I thought cyclists were banned from dual carriageway.

i dont know if cyclists are banned from DCs but the pedestrian crossings are going across the rdabout to turners cross road from the airport road so im going to go out on a tangent and say they are for the cyclists coming from airport road, and my homies from the refugee accomodation centre centre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

cyclists are onlly banned from motorways. A few of my cyclist friends have had near misses on the DC though. The problems are worst at the exits.

I would love to cycle from Cobh into the city centre but it's just not practical given the way cars take the corners on the bendy road between Cobh and Fota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Oh and as a recent decampee from Dublin to Cork, you ain't got nothing on Dublin traffic yet. Last week it took me 1 hour 50 min to drive 9 miles and I left the house at 6am. Not that it makes a 55 min 8 mile journey acceptable but there are worse routes out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

i think thats the point of these surveys,namely do them see the results and try and avoid becoming what dublin has become in terms of traffic congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

true hunneymonster...dublin traffic is shocking..one of the main reasons I left the place..and that was 6 years ago.

left at 7.48am this morning, traffic was backing up rapidly! curses then when i forgot something and had to back so actually left again at 8.05 and blocked at carrs hill, bloomfield interchange, single lane into city centre on kinsale rd flyover, all the usual really! carrs hill really bad though since kinsale flyover opened, its that small rd from castletreasure causing havoc.

anyway, 37 minutes this morning, am afraid to leave after 8.15, average speed a huge 13 mph i think

to be safe i left home (kinsale) at 7:20am this morning for 9am lecture @ ucc,small queues at airport rdabout and lights at forge hill,flew down forge hill, slow moving at roundabout and over pouladuff rd bridge,made my intended destination at greenmount at 8:05 am,huzzah!

to be safe i left home (kinsale) at 7:20am this morning for 9am lecture @ ucc,small queues at airport rdabout and lights at forge hill,flew down forge hill, slow moving at roundabout and over pouladuff rd bridge,made my intended destination at greenmount at 8:05 am,huzzah!

painful though that you have to leave 1 hour and forty minutes to come up the road

so, the end of 5 day survey, leaving at 08.11 today meant that it took 49 minutes to come in the main road, average speed 11.71 mph.

Overall results of the 5 days are that if you take the main route into the city it takes avg 37 minutes to go 8 miles i.e.avg speed 13.15 mph

now I can go back to the side by roads through the suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

The Pedestrian crossings on the Kinsale Rd roundabout are used quite a bit - for one, by the poor shaggers in the Refugee Centre up by Bull McCabes.

It'll be a sad day when they "cut off" one side of a city from another for pedestrian access: that only happens in America!

Advertisement